Thursday, 17 November 2016

Day 322 - Ready Rolled Pastry


Ready rolled pastry is a real luxury, but one that is found really frequently in the reduced to clear cabinets of the supermarket. 

I used to buy it and try and use it quickly or simply throw it into the freezer as it was, ready for use in the future.  But of course this means remembering to take it out of the freezer a day a day before you need to use it and then once you have thawed it using it all at once or cooking what you make and then re-freezing it.


But then I had a brainwave!!

Now I open the pack cut the pastry and it's paper into four pieces (this size suits us best) ...


...and then re-wrap each slice on it's paper in a sheet of Easy-Leave before putting it all into a freezer bag. 

Now when I want to use just one piece or two pieces of pastry that's all I have to thaw out, and because it's now flat it thaws out in an hour while I am preparing the pie or pasty filling.

Why didn't I think of this years ago?

These two packs of pastry were in the freezer and were thawed out slowly in the fridge before being brought up to room temperature briefly and then once processed chilled down in the fridge and re-frozen .... something I have only just found out is a feasible option with lots of frozen foods.

Today is a No Spend Day


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for another great tip. It was your blog that introduced me to the Easy Leave sheets. Before using this I must have wasted tons, e.g. sausages which unless separated just seem to freeze into one big ball!
    I buy the large pizzas when they're reduced - but always forget to divide them before freezing and one large one is just too much for even my hubby!(I dont eat pizza).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually looking at pastry in the supermarket freezer section, you can buy it in bigger packs and it works out cheaper.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.