Wednesday, 16 November 2016

Day 321 - Aga Cheese Toasties



When we go out for the day and stop off somewhere for a snack, quite often I have a cheese toastie. It's not a brilliant for me as someone that usually avoids milk and products containing, milk but an acceptable and manageable choice once in a while when the vegetarian choices can be limited to something mushroomy (I hate mushrooms) or the ubiquitous jacket potato, which yes, usually comes with either a cheese or tuna mayo topping, and yes lots of restaurants and cafes in this neck of the woods have tuna based things on the vegetarian part of the menu!!

I really enjoy the cheese toasties that are served just up the road from us at Tal Goed that come with a freshly made salad, and usually have one while Lovely Hubby tucks into a roast dinner ... it might look odd to outsiders us each having such different meals, but as this is what we like and if we are there we're there for a treat it's not odd to us.

But eating out is expensive, and we don't do it anywhere near as much as we used to, so I like to find a way to replicate our favourite meals from our favourite places at home.  Now I've not had a sandwich maker for years, they were all the rage once upon a time, so to copy the cheese toastie meal I use my Aga toast maker.


To the non-Aga owner it looks like a stainless steel tennis racquet, indeed even to the Aga owner it looks like a stainless steel tennis racquet, but to those in the know it's the best toast maker there is.  Your toast cooks quickly and evenly squished between the two sides and with the lid of the hotplate down it is ready in a minute or so.  

If like me you use it to make a toasted sandwich, a good tip is to use a sheet of non-stick reusable baking tray liner around your sandwich, then any leaking filling won't needs scraping off your hot plate.

Today is a No Spend Day

7 comments:

  1. I always used to do my cheese toasties in those toastie bags you get from the £Shop but now I do them in a dry, very hot frying pan. Just pan on hob, heat it up, make sandwich in usual way (if you want lava hot cheese you can melt it a bit in the microwave first and spread it onto your sandwich), no need to butter the outside, just put sarnie in pan, hold it down with fish slice for a bit, then after couple mins, lift it up to check bottom side done, then flip when it's as brown as you want. Yums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard the term 'cheese toastie'. I love it. Next time we have grilled cheese, I'm going to tell my husband" No, its' a cheese toastie"...... Made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've still got a sandwich toaster - must be at least 20 years old. Not used it for yonks - but you've set me off now - ooh the combinations!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here in the USA they are called grilled cheese but we cook them on a skillet with butter to Brown the bread. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use a cast iron pan, butter or not and hold it down with a cast iron press.
    So wonderful but I only eat them for a treat.
    I wish I had an Aga.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  6. Think its in the film Benny and Joon where he uses an Iron lol

    Can't believe they put tuna under the veggie option!!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.