Tuesday, 15 November 2016

Day 320 - Using the Stockpile


Way back at the end of last year we bought four of these packs of eighteen toilet rolls for use in the year ahead.  It was during a brief splurge of stockpiling for this year which we nipped in the bud after just buying the toilet rolls and a large bag of pasta. (See this post.)

Well I have just put the last one from the last pack onto the holder in the bathroom!!

So that means 72 rolls last us 46 weeks, and this is one of the reasons for keeping this blog up to date, it will give us a basic guide not just to the foodstuffs that we need to buy, grow and process but also the other things that we will always need to use.

Hopefully these will still be at the same price (£3.99) and we can get stocked up for the year ahead again, just in case there is a price increase in the New Year.

And before anyone asks, we do not use the various supermarkets Basics lines of toilet rolls as they are simply, in our opinion, not good value for money.  You need to use more sheets per use and thus the rolls run out more quickly, I think these at just 22p per roll have proved their worth and their lasting power. 

Today is a No Spend Day

13 comments:

  1. I wait for Velvet or charmin to come on offer and stockpile. I do the same with plenty kitchen roll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you I do think by and large it's better to wait for our favourite, trusted brands to be on offer and then stock up, rather than to try to save money buying basics lines just because they appear to be a bargain.

      Delete
  2. Good Choice! Nicky was proven in an experiment shown on tv to be the most value for money and best quality!!

    I don't know where you buy yours but Home Bargains sell Nicky at good prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's where I get ours from :-)

      Delete
  3. My favourite toilet roll when we were in the UK. Thick, soft, perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and it doesn't fall apart when you have to blow your nose on it ;-)

      Delete
    2. Exactly. Just wish we could use them here, but they are no good in a fosse. If I could, I'd buy them by the truck load :)

      Delete
  4. Same here we have a Home Bargains 5 minutes walk from , I seem to use the supermarkets for the yellow sticker items and am picking up most other things in HB as they certainly cheaper on some other things as well. Every penny counts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also £3.99 in Farm Foods Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you think you'll have a week or so of unfettled spending at the beginning of January or is the "no spend" so ingrained now that you won't be tempted?
    I wonder if you'll come across products that are new to you because you've stayed away from being tempted by browsing.
    We live in a fairly remote place and I'm always overwhelmed by choice when we visit large supermarkets.
    It has the effect of putting me off buying anything! I have been known to walk out of the shop without what I went for because I couldn't be bothered trailing round the miles of aisles to find it. Sue



    ReplyDelete
  7. Third time lucky!! "Unfettered" Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wilko now do a 32 pack for a fiver and they are good quality.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.