Thursday, 10 November 2016

Day 315 - Soap


This cold of mine has really knocked me for six this week.  I'm just really tired all the time and the ironic thing is I keep waking up at night too and that makes me even worse.  I need to get at least seven hours a night of unbroken sleep to be able to function properly.  But I guess taking it easy during the day means I'm not as physically tired, and with the weather being so bad I've not been out much in the fresh air, so less walking too ... it's all a vicious circle.


So I decided to do something I've been meaning to do for ages and that is to use up some of this huge 20kg tub of soap base.  As we are on the last sliver of soap from the bathroom cupboard this was also very needed.

 I made up 2kgs worth yesterday and have the next 2kgs just completed. I always cut the soap slices generously thick, so we get eight slices out of each kilo loaf.  So now we have thirty two bars of soap hardening on the worktop. 

It's a simple process, hack out the soap base from the tub, weigh it, melt it in a big pan and add essential oils and natural colours.  Then pour into the silicone loaf pans and leave to cool and set.  I only have these two left loaf pans left now, hence making two batches at a time.  I used to have lots more when I made and sold all kinds of soap at the Farmers Markets in Oxfordshire.


I just hope I haven't overdone it with the essential oils as this cold means I also have very little sense of smell !!

Today is a No Spend Day

4 comments:

  1. Love those bright and beautiful colors. What kind of natural ingredients did you use to get them so bright? I love making soap too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really interested in this Sue as it's something I would like to try. Would you be able to post a bit more detail for us beginners please? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soap looks gorgeous. Hope you feel much better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to do this...hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.