Tuesday, 1 November 2016

Day 306 - End of Month Ten



Money Spent This Month - £14.47   Vouchers/Coupons/Points Spent - £9.00
All the Original £328.71 Budget Now Gone
Money Spent in Total - £335.55
Vouchers/Coupons/Points Spent in Total - £300.75
Money left in Housekeeping Fund - None    Minus Figure of £6.84
No Spend Days  27/31

Total Spent - Cash/Vouchers/Coupons/Points   £636.30
Weekly Average £14.46


Although the cash has officially run out, obviously we still have to eat and even with the freezers and food cupboards holding up really well, filling as they are with all sorts of jars of home preserved produce, I still have to spend money at the shops to buy basics like milk and other necessary things that we have used up such as onions.

Someone asked if I would grow more onions next year with us obviously running out so quickly and yes I think I will grow a few more, but shop bought onions are so cheap it doesn't bother me too much to stock up when I see a bargain.  But if I have beds to spare out on the Veggie Patch next year I will have at least one more bed for the onions, and I will also put more leeks in which can be pretty interchangeable in most recipes for onions.  I know now that I will need a larger supply for making the homemade chutneys that we love so much.

My biggest learning curve this month - That I should have stayed in the black ... my calculations went to pot working this out.  I've never been that good at working in the negative!!

How am I feeling at the end of Month Ten - Sick to the back teeth of picking, processing and preserving ..... it's really lost it's novelty value now, and I have a thing about too much of anything ... but I do see the value of what we are doing so I grit my teeth and get on with it.

Today is a No Spend Day


11 comments:

  1. I can see how you are feeling how you are, you are a inspiration to us all with all the challenges you have done over the years, keep at it what you are doing is valuable and it all helps for your future x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, well done! I was sick to the back teeth of peeling donated apples for the freezer and for chutney after only two weeks so am full of admiration for you. It will be worth it when all your hard work keeps you going in food over the winter and will save you a fortune. My teen has stepped his food consumption up a gear again. Costing a blooming fortune. Thank goodness I cook most things from scratch which saves a lot. I bake every time the oven is on too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have done amazing with this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have done really well and admire you for sticking with it. I've made chutneys and pickled onions myself in the past and can imagine how you feel about the amount of preparing etc that goes into it all, especially with the amount you must have done. Just think that it's a means to an end and this is the result of all your hard labour.

    Joan (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all have to grit our teeths and get on with it but I think you're doing so well and you're really an inspiration !

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have done amazingly. I used to feel the same way about jam making when we had a much larger fruit garden, I used to call the summer "The tyranny of the fruit"! Actually I rather miss it now but have contented myself with making 3 large jars of quince, sultana and ginger chutney this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with all the above comments. You have really inspired me to do more preserving and canning and freezing too. I don't think I could shop on what you did with my family but you did amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All that free ready prepared food will help stretch your budget next year. It's worth the hassle. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do sound a bit like my mum used to do in the farm kitchen at this time of the year as she had just finished a similar amount of processing and storing (but no freezer 55 years ago - kilner jars, cellars, bottled, pickled ..) and she was just coming up to preparing for the enormous Christmas feast over many days due to a large visiting family! But your achievements over the year are impressive - we are a couple of generations from doing this sort of thing as normal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can sympathise with all the peeling, chopping and dicing, but its well worth it when you can grab a jar of something or a bag from the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love chutneys but I wonder with all you have made do you eat them every day with a meal or will these last you till you start making them again ?
    I think you have done an amazing job with the no spend month.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.