Tuesday, 11 October 2016

Day 285 - Rummaging Through Cupboards


Things are just starting to get interesting here, to be fair I thought it would happen a lot sooner, but now and only now am I reaching the back of some of the cupboards and finding things that I had either forgotten about, or put to the back of my mind for the time being while we have been living off the freshly harvested stuff, and the things from the freezer in my bid to empty it ready for the harvests to go in.


The other day I found these, a tin of strawberry jam base and an almost full bag of jam sugar.


As I had just picked a surprise late harvest of Blueberries from the net tunnel, and I knew there was a tub of mixed strawberries and raspberries in the big freezer, I knew straight away what I would make ....


... a few jars of mixed berry jam.

I like the feeling of pulling things in from here and there and making something useful and tasty out of them.  So these along with the other hundred or so jars of preserves (might be a slight exaggeration, I shall have to count) should last us easily through this Winter and beyond.

Today is a No Spend Day


4 comments:

  1. You can't beat home made jam. I have a stash of jams, pickles and chutneys too. Its a god send when you're baking to be able to go into the cupboard and bring something out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do keep opening the door of the cupboard to smile at the array of jams and preserves in there ... a bit sad, but very satisfying ;-)

      Delete
  2. I have never seen the brand "Home Cook" before, I have tried the Ma Made orange pulp for marmalade before, and make that on many occasions. Your berry jam sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I bought it from Lakeland, along with an orange and a lemon one sometime last year. This one isn't as good as the Ma Made I've used before though and didn't give a good set even using half jam sugar and half ordinary.

      Delete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.