Monday, 10 October 2016

Day 284 - Buying Books


Yesterday in the comments Beachcomber asked me this ... "Have you a long booklist waiting for January 1st?" ... a clever question. 

The answer is yes, of course I have .... after all I'm a bookaholic!!

But, and it's a huge big bold BUT, I won't be dashing out and buying all the books on my list in January of next year.  I have found that through doing this challenge,  although I do the usual 'ooh look there's Jamie Oliver's new book .... I don't have the urge to take it straight to the checkout and bring it home from the shop with me as I would have done this time last year pre-Challenge.


I have browsed through the just released books that have appeared on the shelves in the supermarkets and our local Waterstones, and even on occasion ran my fingers over the spines of the books on the shelves and pulled the occasional one down for a closer look.  I have felt a real pang of wanting to buy a nice new book but it has passed quickly and once home I don't dwell on what I might have owned as I once, not so long ago, would have.

I have parted with books I thought I loved at the car boot sale we did, after finding that in fact although they were full of lovely pictures, the recipes in them were not for me and would most likely never have been made, so they simply would not be earning their place on the shelves.

And we have made a decision over the last weekend that YES we will be doing a fresh Challenge next year, although it will be incorporated on my main blog  not on a blog of it's own.  Part of that will mean we finally get round to joining the local library.  So because of that the books on my list of 'must see, might own' will be picked up from the library first, and only if they fulfil the criteria of being very necessary for one reason or another will they be purchased and added to our bookshelves.

Today is a No Spend Day

10 comments:

  1. I am currently going through the cook books I counted 43 as you say some just have nice pictures and you have to be realistic when they are taking up valuable space. I am going to go through each of the books and see how many recipes I am going to use or I use and if it is only a couple in a book, I will photo copy them and put in my recipe folder then resell the books, I usually get a nice book or two at the Christmas from John or Jack (Hubby & Son). I love Nigel Slater, you have some ones there I haven't seen. I have The Kitchen Diaries . 1, 2 and 3, and also eat, I had some Nigel Dvds a few years ago for a gift which was nice. Nigel will not be leaving the shelf though I love his recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 43 is a nice number :-) I would be happy to get down to around 50.

      Nigel will not be leaving my kitchen either, and I also have his dvds. They make for lovely relaxing and inspirational watching on a chilly day.

      Delete
  2. I have often wondered if you had a library in your area and now I see that you do have one. I love my library. I can read all the books I want and not have to worry about storage space. Sometimes I do have to wait for a new book, but that is OK. I like printed books more than e-books, but if you have to travel a distance to your library, you may be able to download library e-books from your home. I donate books that I have bought in the past to my library's book sales. I still buy a few books but not many. Libraries are at the top of my list of community services.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that title for a list, "Must see, might own".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knowing that I was planning to finish full time work at the end of this year, I made the decision early on in the year to spend £10 per month at The Works, which gets me 6 paperbacks of my choice. I've been stockpiling them LOL so that when it gets to 1 Jan and start of my vastly reduced pay packet, I shall have a nice little stash to work my way through. Those, plus the exchange of books with friends, and re-reads of some of my much loved books (that I kept after massive sort out) should keep me going for a while. I have a thing about 'clean' books, don't mind having books off friends but there's no way I could just buy a book from a charity shop, my hang-up. I get round it at the library by only choosing from the new books that are on display so I'm first borrower. It actually works out really well as I end up reading books I would never have chosen in a million years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sensible to try before you buy with books. I do the same. The magazine downloads from the library are incredible, too. I can fill my passion for the glosses and all the gardening and craft mags I love so much and now it costs me nothing. Well done on this challenge, by the way.
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I decided not to buy books for 6 months and reserved books from the library instead.. our library doesn't charge if you order them yourself on line. And I am very glad I did because some books that had been recommended to me I didn't like.. just think how I would have felt if I had bought them!! The 6 months is up but I have carried on using the library except I bought 'The Elephant in the Room' the kindle version and although it was an interesting read it wasn't worth £6.99 I only bought it because there was such a long waiting time for it at the library and someone I know thought it a really good book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, do you know you can return Kindle books for a refund if you don't like them?

      Delete
  7. My husband is a reader and almost always gets books from the library with a view to read first, if it is a keeper we try to buy for kindle. I have to admit that I do not read many books as I spend most of my spare time crocheting or knitting. My weakness is buying crochet/craft books (although only one or two a year) but spending most of our time living in our motorhome, space is very short. I am considering going through them, copying any patterns I am likely to make then selling/gifting/donating the books to free up space. I am really enjoying following your journey and am amazed you have made it this far through the year, and look forward to next year's challenge. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for such a full answer to my question. I have been resisting buying new books and culling my cookery books.
    Like you I found many of the ones I had were beautiful and enjoyable to read but the recipes needed too many ingredients or took more time than I was prepared to spend on them.
    Once they had gone to the charity shop I felt much lighter and my shelves relaxed ( although I have been known to pick up an item I've taken to the Hospice shop before realising I'd donated it the previous week).
    I'm delighted that you are going to have another challenge next year. I've learnt so much from this one and saved quite a lot through making do and not buying things I don't need. Sue

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.