Saturday, 1 October 2016

Day 275 - End of Month Nine


Money Spent This Month - 9p  Vouchers/Coupons/Points Spent - £9.00
Money Spent in Total - £321.08
Vouchers/Coupons/Points Spent in Total - £291.75
Money left in Housekeeping Fund - £7.63
No Spend Days  28/30

Total Spent - Cash/Vouchers/Coupons/Points   £612.83
Weekly Average £15.71

This has been a brilliant month for not shopping, I even outdid last month's tiny £2.11 spend!!

So with a spend of just 9p in cash and only £9 in M&S vouchers September has been my most successful month to date, and only possible because of the abundance of home-grown food from the poly and net tunnels and from the Veggie Patch, and with the chickens being in full egg production.

I managed to get back to baking some of our bread, something I will be building on for the rest of the year.  The cupboards have been filling rather than emptying with lots of homemade pasta sauces, jams, jellies and chutneys.  And the large chest freezer is now full to the top once more but  this time with bags of home grown fruit, vegetables and containers of soups and stews.

My biggest learning curve this month - discovering that yes, we can produce enough food for us to live on and put by for the leaner, less productive Winter months to come.

How am I feeling at the end of Month Nine - Sick to the back teeth of jamming, jellying, picking and blanching ..... but I know deep down it's all worth it, and the end of the work is in sight.


7 comments:

  1. That is an amazing achievement and it must give you lots of confidence in being able to reach your goal of self sufficiency. Well done! Oh, and I have quiche envy...that photo looks very tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is absolutely brilliant. You certainly give us something to step up to and think about. I have decided to list all of October's grocery spending and see how low I can go. Not easy with 2 young adults living with us but they do buy a lot of dinner ingredients. I have been following your year without and have gained many good ideas and hints from you. We don't really have coupons here but I do trycand buy marked down produce mainly. 9p is awesome. Ruth-Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great News and a wonderful achievement. Are you intending having animals in the future so you don't have to buy meat for hubby?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to ask the same question about the meat. My doctor told me to reduce red meat to 1-2 times per week. I find I really don't eat it that much and I don't miss the steak at all. Would your dh consider less meat or does he already do that? Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He already eats less than he used to. Luckily he loves his salads and veggies so I fill his plate up with thosr 😊

      Delete
  5. Bravo! Sounds like you've done tons of work, and I am also tired of preserving food but in January I'll be happy that I did. We raise all our meat too. Beef chickens pork and after eating horrible restaurant meat (years past) I'm happy we've done this work as well. Besides red meat raised on pasture, eggs from free range birds much healthier for you. Good research out there finally to support such

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.