Wednesday, 21 September 2016

Day 265 - Making Cheese

 
I had a tub of homemade yoghurt that needed using up and no time to think of anything, so I did the easy cop out of making some home made cheese.  This sort of cheese is called Labne and is a mild and creamy soft cheese.
 
You simply pour your yoghurt into a muslin square and leave it to drip overnight or for up to 24 hours for all the whey to drip through.

 
As you can see you get lots of lovely whey.

 
Once you squeeze out the last of the moisture you are left with a lovely creamy Greek yogurt style cheese that is ready for any flavours you wish to add to it.  I simply added some salt and pepper before it went into the fridge, but I can add in some garlic or chives when I come to use it depending on what I want it for.  Seemingly it should last for up to a month,, but it's never made it that long in our house, it gets eaten up on crackers and toast much too quickly.

 
And of course you are also left with all the whey that has dripped out, which I pour into a large ice cube tray, so that I know each cube is a tablespoonful.  Once frozen the cubes are popped out and kept in a freezer bag to free up my tray for other things 
 
This whey can be used in all sorts of recipes, Google it for some more inspiration.  I tend to add a tablespoon to homemade mayonnaise as it keeps it fresh for so much longer, and it's also great for adding to homemade bread or scones and savoury biscuits as it makes them lighter and richer tasting.
 
So much better than throwing away some yoghurt that needed using or losing.
 
Today is a No Spend Day
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Great idea! I'm assuming that will work as well with the Greek natural yoghurt (full fat obviously) that I buy. Re using the whey in scones though, do you use whey INSTEAD of the milk in the recipe or a combination of milk and whey, and if the latter, what ratio? Thanks.

    As a non grower had one of 'your' days yesterday. Still off work recovering from operation but can drive now so tootled off to supermarket and found two massive nets of organic courgettes at 41p per bag plus big bag of plums at 48p. Chopped and open tray froze the courgettes, now got five nice bags to see me through winter in curries, chillies etc (don't like courgette soup), plus stewed the plums for crumbles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use it in any ratio of your total liquid part of your recipe.

      Sounds like some good food prep going on there 😊

      Delete
  2. I use a paper coffee filter in a funnel [but that's because I have a huge stash of them in the cupboard] Freezing the whey is a BRILLIANT idea, now I shan't feel obliged to make scones immediately after I make cheese! To Anon above, I would say that I use just whey as my liquid, but I know others do different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To echo Angela, what a fabulous idea to freeze the whey, I'd never thought of that. I have a tub of yogurt that needs using, plus I forgot to buy any soft cheese this week, so will be doing the yogurt straining tonight. I would normally use the whey to make scones straight away, as Angela does, but haven't got the time for the next few days, so knowing I can freeze it for future use is brilliant, thank you. Duh, why did it never occur to me before? So simple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mix soft fruit into my yoghurt cheese it is delicious on toast, or I make scones with the whey and put the cheese on these. Ihave even been found eating it with a spoon. My grandmother was a cook in a big house and she never made round scones ( waste of time) she cut then into trianges with a knife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like my yogurt cheese! Haven't tried making my own yogurt, so I use pots of value range natural yogurt. I ring the changes by adding cracked black pepper or chopped chives every so often.
    What is your muslin square hanging from? I suspend mine by sticking a skewer through the string / rubber band at the top of the muslin, and then the muslin hangs down inside a big glass jar, with the skewer resting across the top of the jar, holding it up. As the muslin is contained inside the jar, there's no risk of whey dripping anywhere else. (I'm struggling to describe it, but posted pics back on 13 May 2015). Means it can be left in the fridge too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi sue, is what's left similar to soft cheese that you could use to make a pasta sauce with? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bland cream cheese, that you can add flavours to and use as you would any cream cheese bought from the supermarket. Think mild Philadelphia 😊

      Delete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.