Monday, 5 September 2016

Day 249 - Prepping for Winter


At the moment it's all harvest, harvest, harvest, a time of year I really hate.  Those of you who know me, either in person or through reading my other blog for years will know that I hate excess ... with a vengeance.  But at this time of year I have to grit my teeth, have a little paddy every now and then, and just get on with it.


I have four trays for open freezing in the freezer and at the moment they are permanently full.


  At the moment it is with the chopped up pieces of this courgette/marrow.  Yesterday it was blueberries from the net tunnel and the day before that another courgette/marrow.  And those of you who read both blogs will have seen the trays in action freezing these plums just a small part of our mammoth plum harvest this week.


The first lot of courgettes are now bagged up and back in the freezer.  And yes I dithered when I came to write out the bag courgette/marrow/courgette/marrow ..... as you can see courgette won in the end ;-)

Today is a No Spend Day

7 comments:

  1. We have bee doing the same but on a much smaller scale. Blackberry picking is next on the agenda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely Hubby was out last night picking the first of ours, we had to wait for the rain to plump them out but now they are coming along nicely. I'll be back out tomorrow to get another bowlful for some more wine making.

      Delete
  2. No trace of winter here, just a hurricane...You're well supplied for winter. I'm hoping my freezer lasts through the end of storm season with no power outages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh fingers crossed it lasts ... that must be very worrying :-(

      Delete
  3. We're virtually eating runner beans at every meal, plus the freezer's stocked up with them too. No more room! Good job we love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I planted dwarf runner beans this year and not a lot of them so we are keeping up quite nicely. There should be a decent amount for the freezer but not too excess. I should plant some more next year though as I do like them more and more. These used to be my pet hate. It's funny how homegrown food can really change your tastes for things.

      Delete
  4. It is a chore when the veg keeps coming and coming, but so worth it in the winter when you're still eating your own food. We've had loads of beans this year, all different varieties which are bing frozen on a daily basis. Hubby isn't keen so I'm cooking them in lots of ways. A hot new potato, green bean, garlic and olive salad is delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.