Friday, 2 September 2016

Day 246 - End of Month Eight


Money Spent This Month - £2.11  Vouchers/Coupons/Points Spent - £57.50
Money Spent in Total - £320.99
Vouchers/Coupons/Points Spent in Total - £282.75
Money left in Housekeeping Fund - £7.72
No Spend Days  27/31

Total Spent - Cash/Vouchers/Coupons/Points   £603.74
Weekly Average £17.24

Cash wise this was a brilliant month.  I simply used bits of money to pay the excess amounts over the coupon and voucher spending that I did and it worked a treat.  

We are fully re-stocked with coffee and butter, hopefully enough to see this Challenge out completely and it was all paid for from our saved up Nectar points.  All the Tesco vouchers are now used up and we are reliant on the M&S vouchers of which we have eleven vouchers with a combined value of £52 to see us forward.  Now in my head this gives me eleven weeks of shopping to top up what we still have in store and what we are producing from the polytunnel, net tunnel and veggie patch.

My biggest learning curve this month - was knowing that I have to continue to learn to do successional sowing really well for the poly and net tunnels so that we have a continual supply of home grown foods.

How am I feeling at the end of Month Eight - happy that the only real things that we need to buy on a regular basis are milk and peppers.  They just have not grown well for me this season so as we love them so much we are buying them regularly.  I'll try harder next year.

13 comments:

  1. I've never managed peppers in my greenhouse either so if you find out the secret, please share?! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never managed it here, but it was easy when we lived in Southern England. So maybe the answer is to start them in the house, so they are already well established by the time they need to go out into the polytunnel or greenhouse. That's probably what I'll try next year.

      Delete
  2. I use the seeds from a pepper bought and dried a month before I plant them. I sow them quite thickly in a small pot of compost leaving in a warm place. I don't thin out until the seedlings
    are over 2" tall with strong stems. I had over 20 plants this year. I gave away 6.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it strange it's something I've never done, I'll have to give it a go with the next pepper I cut into. The seeds should save very successfully as long as I dry them out carefully.

      I usually give them to the chickens, they love them.

      Delete
  3. It's so inspiring to read how well you have managed. I've got my first $20 worth of point saved up for the New Year and I'm continuing to add loose change to my coin jar. I bought some fresh fruit & veg and milk today - and I need a few odd tins (good sales on at the moment) that I will pick up on Sunday but other than that I'm going to try and get through to the end of next week with what I've got on hand - not too much of a hardship - just need to remember to rotate through things. Always love to follow your yearly challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you are going to blog about YOUR year long challenge, it would make for brilliant reading, and I can send along of very nice folk from blogland your way to encourage you and keep you on track :-)

      Delete
    2. Well, I've thought about it. I have some time now so I'm going to ask a friend to help me get set up - we'll see if I get brave enough! :-)

      Delete
  4. Will you be doing this challenge of no spend for another year, next year too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This blog will finish at the end of this year and I won't be doing any specific Challenge, but over on my other blog I will be posting about our continuing journey to self sufficiency and what we do with the things we grow, how we make the money we have and, well just life in general really.

      Something we were thinking of doing next year though is keeping notes about the amounts of food we produce ourselves and the cost it would have been to buy the items from shops. A cost comparison would make for interesting reading, well for me anyway ;-)

      Delete
  5. You're doing so well, my spending has gone to pot over the last 2 months and this month will be the same. Not easy to stick to when you've had loads of visitors. My peppers didn't grow either so we had to buy some, but they have given us loads of peppers, some of which I've frozen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have bought some plants when mine were so slow to get off the mark :-(

      I'll start much earlier next year.

      Delete
  6. My peppers have done quite well this year, aubergines were disappointing and courgettes have been very slow. The autumn raspberries are coming thick & fast now, and the apples are ready for picking to be made into wine 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's strange isn't it, I am just the opposite, my Aubergines are doing pretty well, although I forgot I had grown a different variety, they are long and thin .... I was waiting for them to fill out at first (I should keep better notes), and my Courgettes although slightly slow to get going are now giving us enough to pick most days.

      Delete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.