Saturday, 27 August 2016

Day 240 - Solving a Dilemma


There are lots of things that are outside the remit of the Challenge ... all non-foody things, as we already pretty much know how much we use and how often we purchase them.  Some of them come under the umbrella of our company and are purchased from the farm supplies shop.  But it doesn't mean to say that we don't use these items carefully and economically.

For instance washing powder ... we usually buy these tablets, which yes are a bit more expensive than buying huge boxes of washing powder but easier to store in the kitchen and simple to use.  We buy them in bulk ( a sleeve of four boxes at a time), and because we don't use them as directed on the packet, where it tells you to use two tablets per wash and thus only get 20 washes out of one box ...  each box lasts us for 40 washes.

I do around five washes a week so each box lasts us eight weeks.  It's knowing all this type of thing that will help us budget for all expenditure in the future.


Of course I do have a bit of a dilemma, instead of fabric conditioner I usually use vinegar in the final rinse.  It does exactly the same as fabric conditioner in that it neutralises any washing detergent that is left in the fabric of your wash and makes it come out soft, but it leaves your wash simply smelling clean and not perfumed.  

At first my dilemma was that it's a 'food' item, so when my current stash runs out should it be included in the food budget, but then I thought about it some more and decided that as I don't use vinegar in anything other than pickling things (nope ... I don't even have it on chips), I will buy vinegar for food use out of the food budget and keep the vinegar for fabric conditioning purposes out of the equation.

Today is a No Spend Day

9 comments:

  1. I agree with your decision - in your household this is not a food item. Like you I find tablets more efficient than powder or liquid. The price difference is minimal - esp when you factor in the powder inevitably lost in spillage or mis-measurement. And you are not alone in calculating usage times. One loo roll lasts 5 days in this house. I have just done a bulk purchase to take advantage of an offer. Now stocked till 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela.....one loo roll lasts for five days.......how? There are only two of us here, but we don't seem able to make one last for more than about a day and a half! I'd love to save some cash on loo rolls, but so far it's proving impossible!

      Delete
    2. Yep, one loo roll lasts us about five days too. You must use a lot each time Col !!

      Three perforated sheets per use is our average ... or is that TMI 😉

      Delete
  2. You can add essential oils or herbs to your vinegar to scent it :-)

    I'm about to take a long hard look at my budget now The Teenager is about to leave for university (his hollow legs take some filling!!) I'm hoping to drastically cut my costs and build up my pension savings

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you also used vinegar as a household cleaner, you might be able to forego an additional purchase on a cleaning product as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found it hard to buy white vinegar at a resonable price so I asked the local corner shop to see if they could get it in a 5lt size it proved to be much cheaper and it supports a local shop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great solution. Well done.

      Delete
    2. good idea Chris! thank you

      Delete
    3. Good idea.

      I usually use supermarket Basics vinegar at 35p a bottle, but this one was on offer at 25p at the end of last year so I stocked up 😊

      Delete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.