Thursday, 25 August 2016

Day 238 - Late to the Party


Our tea the other night.

Everything on our salady plates is now from the polytunnel and is completely homegrown, well except from the cheese ... and in the case of Lovely Hubby's plate the half a pack of pate.

I've not eaten grated raw beetroot before, I have no idea why ... I usually cook it in the oven and then cool it and slice it to add to salads, but this was a revelation.  Just topped, tailed and peeled, then grated into a bowl and I added half a sliced red onion, some podded peas and beans and gave it a good stir.  There was enough moisture in the grated beetroot for it not to need a dressing and it was absolutely delicious.

Gosh I feel as though I'm late to a party with this one, it's funny how you can so easily get into a routine way of doing things.  Now discovered it will be a regular on our salady menu ... well at least until we run out of beetroots  :-)

Today is a No Spend Day

9 comments:

  1. A lovely plate of food and homegrown, nice x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous and good for you with the beetroot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was the beetroot really raw or did you buy it prepared ? I thought you couldn't eat raw root veg ? Beautiful plate anyway, made with such care !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pulled it up from the polytunnel 10 minutes before we ate it!!

      There are quite a few root vegetables you can eat raw, beetroot, carrots, kohlrabi and parsnip to name but a few :-)

      Delete
  4. That looks delicious, a true Summer plateful. I've never eaten raw beetroot before either...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious....just a little thought if you drizzle a bit of olive oil on your salad your body absorbs even more nutrients from it. Watched it on eat well for less recently. The body needs a certain level of fat in the diet to absorb nutrients. Your home grown food will have such goodness in it so why not absorb it all :D

    (Hope you don't mind me suggesting)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind you suggesting at all 😊

      But you only really need to do this if there is NO fat in the meal. In this case there was the cheese (and pate), which both have enough fat.

      I do usually make a basic dressing when we have salads but there was enough moisture in the beetroot salad this time.

      Delete
    2. I did wonder if that was the case but i thought I'd mention it anyway case you have a no cheese salad one day :)

      Delete
  6. You know, I've been getting grated beetroot in bought salads a lot recently and I was never quite sure if it was raw or cooked first - thanks for clearing that up - I will be giving it a try!
    Your plate looks yummy - I often make up a similar plate for myself for either lunch or supper - unfortunately mine is all store bought.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.