Monday, 22 August 2016

Day 235 - A Free Drink


Yesterday we had a most delicious drink, cooling and thirst quenching sat on the bench outside the house, on a hot, humid and for Lovely Hubby, hard working day.

And it was totally free!


Do you remember last month when I did the post about our favourite cake Rhubarb Upside Down Cake and one of the comments asked what I did with the drained juice from the cooked and cooled rhubarb.  Well usually I don't have more than a spoonful or two of liquid left over but yesterday when I made a cake with the rhubarb that I had cut for the Llanrwst Show I decided to add a little bit more water than usual.

When I drained the rhubarb over a bowl while it cooled and I made the cake batter, (for the recipe click on the link that is the cake name) I did have more rhubarb juice as planned.  So I split it between two glasses added a good handful of ice cubes as it was still quite warm, and topped it up with sparkling water.

Delicious, and you've got to love something for nothing haven't you ... especially when it's as tasty as that was.  Luckily there's more rhubarb left so I can do it all over again  :-)

Today is a No Spend Day

8 comments:

  1. I've made rhubarb cordial (same principle as Pam the Jam's 'Beena) which is delicious in some fizzy wine or water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might make some after tasting this ... although it will be sad to not have the cake to eat as well ;-)

      Delete
  2. Sounds great I think I will have to give it a try and the cake too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very refreshing, I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue. Sounds delicious will definitely try. Sorry to be dumb but I presume you weigh the eggs in the shells and then add the equivalent in butter, sugar and flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In or out it doesn't make a difference. I tend to crack them into the bowl of my mixer while it is standing on the scales and keep zero-ing them as I add everything else. But yes everything should be an equal weight to the eggs however you weigh them.

      Delete
  5. This sounds delicious, will be definitely trying this, especially with frozen rhubarb as there's always lots of liquid.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.