Thursday, 18 August 2016

Day 231 - Massive Fail


I've read lots of recipes on line for ways to use Aquafaba, or bean water.  

It's simply the water from a can of beans, usually the recipes state they have used chickpea water.  It can be used to replace eggs in lots of recipes and there are myriads of photos of perfect looking meringues made with it on the internet.   So last time I was making a Quinoa, Chickpea and Potato Curry I drained the chickpeas over a bowl instead of the sink.

As suggested in the meringue recipe I started whisking the liquid up with my hand whisk, it was splashing everywhere, so I pulled off a large sheet of clingfilm and covered most of the dish with it, keeping it taut and away from the spinning whisks ... I bet you've guessed what happened next, my attention was diverted by something the dogs were up to and I took my eyes off what I was doing for a split second, long enough for the whisks to catch the clingfilm and tangle it up around themselves and in the process splatter half whisked bean and sugar water all over the kitchen.

You don't realise how many things you have on the worktops until you have to wipe everything down with a wet cloth.  But Suky loved licking the mixture off the front of the cupboards while I was wiping all the other surfaces first.

I tipped the remaining mixture into my freestanding Kenwood mixer and left it whisking away while I completed the kitchen clean up and then I went in the cupboard to get the Cream of Tartar needed for the recipe ... no Cream of Tartar anywhere ... bum!!

So I thought what's the next best thing ..... so I added instead the same amount of Baking Powder and continued whisking away.  The mixture instantly transformed and suddenly looked very meringue like and I happily dolloped it in eight large mounds on a lined baking tray and popped it into the bottom oven of the Aga.

I finished cleaning the kitchen and retired to the living room with a coffee, with the house gradually starting to smell very meringue-y and nice.  When the timer went off an hour later I couldn't wait to get to the oven and take out my nice crispy chewy and almost free meringues.  

When I opened the door I was greeted with a sticky puddle of aquafaba filling the whole of the baking tray ... my meringues has dissolved in the heat instead of setting  .... massive fail.  

I'll try again using Cream of Tartar next time ... because guess what I've just found in the basket I keep my spices in!!

Today is a No Spend Day

10 comments:

  1. This made me smile- then I remembered I drained a tin of chickpeas the day before we went on holiday - and the sealed jar of aqua faba is in the fridge. I did attempt meringues with some last month- but they came out like biscuits [so I made an odd sort of Eton Mess with some, and sandwiched the others round scoops of icecream] But I have got to find a good recipe, or it will not be worth the effort! I will let you know if I succeed.
    And I am truly sorry about your kitchen - I spilt half a jug of boiling gravy last week - it went EVERYWHERE, mercifully very little on my arm, but every other nook and cranny of the kitchen was sticky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband made some tomato sauce and blitzed it at the end to make it smooth. He failed to tell me he slipped and it went everywhere. I'm still finding it now. So much for his clean up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw the title, I thought you'd spent all your money and vouchers, but thankfully you're still on course for your challenge. I've never heard of meringues made like this, interesting .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have days like that too! I've thought about making aquafaba meringue but I can't eat canned beans (and perhaps their liquid) without digestive upset. I have to soak, rinse and drain a lot first, or sprout them a tiny bit before cooking a long time. I've heard the meringue can taste beany. But I think it so interesting that this bit of culinary wizardry has been discovered - who would of thought! So try, try, try again for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops! I do hope you try again...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd never heard of this either! How on earth was this discovered? it's hard to believe someone looked at the bean liquid and thought 'I know! I'll make some meringues with this!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But then I always think that's how 'toast' was discovered, a frugal mom many years ago who told her child to 'just sit by the fire a bit and watch that last piece of bread, make sure you don't drop it into the fire.' then a few minutes later it's too late and it's a case of 'I don't care how brown that bread has got in the fire, you're still eating it!'

      Delete
  7. I have a couple of posts on my blog for Pavlova, I add a teaspoon of cornflour (cornstarch) and a teaspoon of white vinegar to mine to make it stable and also add the chewy factor which I think is very important! Don't know if that will be of use to you! Good luck next time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep reading about aquafaba, and to be honest it doesn't really sound that appealing. Even so, it would be good to find a way to make it work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have made these with success (the second time...LOL). I also use aquafaba as an egg replacer in some recipes (like Elaine Collier's super easy rolls). There is a Facebook group devoted to using aquafaba that you may be interested in. Lots of good ideas and good advice there!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.