Tuesday, 16 August 2016

Day 229 - Simple Suppers


On these hot, busy Summer days it sometimes means that I have little appetite for a cooked evening meal when I come back into the house, and I'm often to be found rummaging through the freezer for a bread roll or two. There are only a couple of rolls left now so I think need to get baking again.  It's about time my bread making skills were put back to good use instead of buying so much bread.

Last night I used the last of my Falafels and added salad from the polytunnel and a good splodge of homemade mayonnaise, a simple and cooling Summer's day supper eaten at my desk while catching up on emails and blog comments in the cool of the office.

Tomorrow I think I'll make a loaf or two ... or maybe even some more bread rolls, I've never been able to master really soft rolls though so I think I'll do a bit of reading around my cookbooks for a good recipe.

Today is a No Spend Day




9 comments:

  1. If you find a way of making soft rolls, please blog about it! I've not managed it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple, and tasty, my kind of meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make lovely soft white rolls (haven't tweaked the recipe for brown yet) - I use solid fat and double the amount I would for a loaf, add the same amount of sugar as salt (I don't add sugar to my bread dough normally) and add the same amount of skimmed milk powder as I do fat. The sugar, extra fat (I use T**x) and milk powder all help to soften the resulting loaves. I flower them before baking. They come out of the over with a very fine crust on, which as they cool enough to cut/ eat softens to a 'bap' style. I will be tweaking it for wholemeal in a couple of weeks. It works every single time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Mrs G, I'll give it a go. Not sure how I'll get on with that much milk powder but it's worth a try.

      Delete
    2. Ah yes - forgot about your issue with milk :( The milk powder is optional - they will still be soft without it, or you could try a small amount. I use 24-30g in a 600g white flour recipe, 12g sugar & 12g salt, 24g solid fat, 18g fresh yeast and 350g warm water. And I just empty it all into my KAid and mix it all at once :) Wholemeal would need adjusting for a similar result - more yeast, more fat, a little more water and a fraction more salt at the very least

      Delete
    3. Thanks, I think I'll give this recipe a try 😊

      Delete
  4. You could try this recipe: http://mortgagefreeinthree.com/2015/06/30-minute-granary-rolls/ from Elaine at Mortgage Free in Three (I miss her posts by the way). They are now my go to quick roll and SO EASY! Also, they really do cook up in 30 minutes. And I even had to adopt the recipe into US measurements so if I can do it, I know anyone else can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes I used to love Elaine's posts, I think her career took off in exciting and time consuming ways. I remember her doing this recipe, I wouldn't be surprised if it's saved on my computer. I'll follow your link and pick it up again in case it's not, thanks :-)

      Delete
  5. I miss Elaine too - she does tweet links to old posts on a regular basis though.
    It has been scorching hot here for weeks on end now so cooking isn't something I'm too keen on either - lots of raw veggies with hummus - BBQ chicken from the deli - and fruit with cottage cheese or yogurt.
    About now I'm starting to look forward to Sept. and cooler weather so that I can spend some time in the kitchen again.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.