Friday, 12 August 2016

Day 225 - Simple Supper


Some days there's nothing to beat a nice simple supper that virtually cooks itself in the time it takes me to tidy up the kitchen and wash the dogs bowls.

Last night I had some brown spaghetti and a quick sauce made from gently fried red onion with a crushed clove of garlic and some quartered cherry tomatoes ..... all homegrown.  At the last minute I added a sprinkle of chilli flakes, a dash of bottled lemon juice and a jar of salmon paste from the cupboard.  Yes, good old fish paste from a little jar.  It goes great with pasta, a lesson I learnt from Jack Monroe on her blog many moons ago.  

Did anyone see her on 'Inside the Factory' the other night, cooking from tins and making a lovely two course meal for pennies.  Brilliant stuff.


My supper was delicious, bursting with flavor and an easy supper to eat in front of a bit of catch up television.  I'm afraid I'm not a fan of the olympics or any sport for that matter.  In fact I would go so far as to say I am pretty much sport phobic, so thank goodness for our Freesat box and it's stash of films that I am slowly working my through.  The one I watched last night I had recorded in May last year!!

Today is a No Spend Day

4 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely, and I've not followed the Olympics either...much more inclined to read. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the programme and Jack's recipes and agree that there's a lot of snobbery around using tinned food. My OH believes it's not as good but then he's been eating it for while now and clearly doesn't know the difference. Sshhhh!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salmon spread is a staple in our house! Love it. Never thought of using it with a hot meal - will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like my kind of supper!
    One of my favourite pasta meals is spaghetti with olive oil, garlic and a bit of dried chilli. Really good with cooked broccoli (I add it to the pasta) or, as last night, with sliced fried courgette. The children asked for it again tonight :)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.