Sunday, 24 July 2016

Day 206 - Perfect with Almost Every Meal


Perfect with almost every meal or delicious simply as a light lunch on it's own is my favourite 'salad' of all - Coleslaw.

You can make it with all sorts of salady crops but my most usually eaten one is the all time favourite lettuce, red onion, carrot and mayonnaise.  It's so simple to make and I have all the components in the polytunnel for it to be as fresh as fresh can be.  A handful of grated cheese or a sprinkle of salted peanuts takes it to another level as well as adding a good portion of filling protein.

I sometimes add the odd sliced radish, and when I have them grated or shredded Kohlrabi is absolutely delicious (mine are tiny little plants at the moment but they grow quickly).  

On hot, hot days when you really don't want too much to eat but fancy something flavourful with a drink at lunchtime I think homemade coleslaw is spot on.  But if you don't have the time or inclination to make it yourself a tub of ready made from the supermarket can be added to very easily, this will take it to a more delicious and more pleasing to look at snack or accompaniment.

Just don't fall  for buying the much more expensive 'cheesey coleslaw', simply buy a tub of ordinary coleslaw and add some of your own grated cheese just before serving, as well as tasting instantly fresher you will save a lot of money.

Today is a No Spend Day

9 comments:

  1. Hi there I'm following your blog and enjoying it immensely full of good ideas. However where do you get so many vouchers from we don't get any and believe me we do shop around having reduced our grocery bill down by half in order to find our travel plans, still managing to eat well too. Love coleslaw but only home made yours looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See the FAQ page for how we got so many vouchers 😊

      Delete
  2. Love your slaw and "orts." You've given me yet another idea for hot days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love grated apple in with my coleslaw. Trying hard to reduce the food bill even more. We had a very severe hail, rain, lightning storm last week and have roof damage. The insurance will cover it but we have the excess to pay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That grated apple is a great idea; I'll try it !

      Delete
  4. Cole slaw is one of my favorites too, so summery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Home-made coleslaw is wonderful. It even tastes healthy! Bought stuff has a funny taste to it though my husband loves it. No accounting for taste!

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I like the mayo based dressing, my husband prefers coleslaw with a dressing of soy sauce, rice vinegar, a bit of sweetener and a splash of sesame oil. When I'm out of peanuts, I like to toast sunflower or pumpkin seeds for extra crunch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A teaspoon of wholegrain mustard is amazing in slaw.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.