Thursday, 7 July 2016

Day 189 - Food for Free


I've had a relaxing couple of hours over in my neighbours garden this morning.  Not sat out in the sun putting the world to rights as we sometimes do,  but this time it was all about fruit picking.

Mary had invited me over to pick some of the fruit left on her bushes after she had had a picking session, rather me having it than the birds she said .... although there are masses of berries that neither of us could hope to reach still waiting to feed the wildlife.  

Her garden is lush and mature and the fruit bushes are laden down with fruit this year.  The rainy weather and occasional sunshine seems to suit them down to the ground.

After starting with Redcurrants and then moving on to the Blackcurrants, I finally finished off by donning gloves and wading into the Gooseberry bushes.  Two hours picking gave me all of the above fruit ... now I just have to decide what to make with it.

Today is a No Spend Day

12 comments:

  1. Can't advise as I'm hopeless at cooking but they look scrumptious !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to buy fruit like that as my garden is tiny but a few years ago my neighbours offered to bring me some fruit back from a local market auction. I asked them to get me some gooseberries if they were being sold and they could get them at a good price. They came back with .......... 10lbs of gooseberries! I practically had RSI after all that topping and tailing. But the jam was lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried gooseberry fool? Absolutely delicious. My neighbours and friends all have too much salad and veg just now and have been giving me lots, all gratefully received.

    I loved Amanda Owen's second book. Thanks for the recommendation x

    ReplyDelete
  4. My neighbour grows apples, pears and cherries but she doesn't eat them! So we help ourselves each autumn. Lovely....Enjoy your free fruit its always sweeter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sat in Waterstones cafe, trying to get into my own blog to correct the rather obvious spelling mistake.... but I'm being told that this is 'restricted content'.

    Maybe I shouldn't have started the title of my blog with the words 'A Year Without Clothes ...'. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything there to make Allotment Jam xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure whatever you come up with will be delicious! LOL on the "restricted content."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here in America, there aren't too many who grow gooseberries. I have two bushes and haven't quite figured out how to cook them. (Jam?) I'll be interested to see what you do. I also have just the red currants; i add those to my raspberry jam.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Redcurrant jelly, blackcurrant cordial and goosegog jelly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You could make your upside down cake with these. I'm sure these fruits would be just as delicious as the rhubarb. I've just picked some red currents from my neighbours garden, I love free food too.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.