Friday, 1 July 2016

Day 183 - Last Day of Month Six - Halfway Through the Challenge


Money Spent This Month - £5.39   Vouchers/Coupons/Points Spent - £50.50
Money Spent in Total - £245.53
Vouchers/Coupons/Points Spent in Total - £164.75
Money left in Housekeeping Fund - £83.18
No Spend Days  25/30

Total Spent - Cash/Vouchers/Coupons/Points   £410.28
Weekly Average £15.78
No Spend Days Cumulative - 151/182

Here we are halfway through the Challenge and with well over half the money spent, in fact as you can see from the monthly round up figures there is just £83.18 left in the cash kitty that started off at £328.71.

 It's a good that the Nectar point stash has been slowly but steadily inching its way up to over eighty pounds.  I feel a re-stock of some expensive things like coffee will be necessary soon.  My four jar stash purchased in April has almost run out with the last one having just been tipped into the coffee cannister on the worktop.

I was really pleased that this month saw me spending hardly any cash at all with most of the shopping being paid for with M&S and Tesco vouchers  :-)

My biggest learning curve this month - that we do eat and purchase the same things over and over on a rotational basis, meaning that in future if I stop myself being tempted to buy special ingredients for things we may only eat once I would be able to save a lot of money.  There's absolutely no shame in living and eating very simply, no matter what the advertisers tell us 'we have to have' and I'm happy to say we have successfully jumped off this particular bandwagon.

How am I feeling at the end of Month Six and Halfway Through the Challenge - that it is serving the purpose that I hoped it would serve.  Which was mainly to highlight to us what we need to keep purchasing and how little we actually eat compared to what I thought we ate.  That the things we buy over and over are mostly either things we can't produce for ourselves like flour, coffee, tea etc, or are the things we can't produce ourselves at specific times of year.  For example cucumbers and peppers throughout the Winter months, so it means if we start to eat more seasonally and get used to waiting for things to be in season we would save a lot of money as we could mostly grow them for ourselves.

Today is a No Spend Day


5 comments:

  1. I've been following from the beginning and attempting to do a similar project myself. While our stores do not do vouchers or points, I've changed where and how I shop and also discovered that I purchase many of the same items week to week but by planning my meals and keeping track of expire dates, I've also got less waste and I'm buying a bit less as time goes on. I've also re-newed my own jar for change and any savings from the weekly budget and it is filling rapidly. Thank you for your inspiration and congratulations on your discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are continuing to do brilliantly and the things you are learning will stand you in good stead in the future. I too have been following you from the beginning and while we haven't the space to grow our own I am trying to only buy what we need and I am finding I'm wasting much less. Thank you for your continuing inspiration and good luck with your second 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your blog every day and find your journey fascinating. I was wondering if you'd ever read Barbara Kingsolver book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life. It's about how she and her family spent a year being self-sustaining and eating seasonally. A really interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really enjoying your challenge and think you are doing brilliantly well, Sue, especially as you sometimes have to buy LH some cakes!! I can see the Nectar points are going to come in very useful at some stage too. I decided to save mine up too although I only have £20 worth at the moment and will endeavour to keep them slowly mounting up for Christmas. Thanks for sharing your challenge :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. We eat sesonally and I've managed with a grocery ( food, toiletries, loo roll etc) budget of £100 per month for over 3 years now. For around 12 months that budget had to feed and keep clean 4 adults, then 3, now it is just 2 of us. We grow our own in the front garden and at our small allotment plot, and wait patiently from one year to the next to taste strawberries, tomatoes, courgettes etc. For us, it is always worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.