Wednesday, 29 June 2016

Day 181 - Cheating


There were a couple of small Cauliflowers in the polytunnel that looked as though they were about to go to seed with the intense heat they had been put under while I have had to keep the doors closed to keep out marauding chickens,  so I picked them the other day and made one of our favourite teas ...Cauliflower Cheese.

It's so simple and quick.  I just cook the chopped cauliflower for five minutes in boiling water, adding some frozen peas for the last three and then drain and tip into an ovenproof dish.  But this time .....


... I cheated!!

We had some of this instant cheese sauce in the cupboard so I decided to use it rather than making a cheese sauce from scratch.  (Which is simply 50g each of butter and flour cooked together for a couple of minutes and then milk is added and then a big handful of strong tasting cheese.)

Instant cheese sauce was not as bad as I expected it to be, and topped with a handful of grated cheese and half of the jar of buttery breadcrumbs (both straight from the freezer) it made for a very good, very tasty and very quick tea.

Today is a No Spend Day

3 comments:

  1. I love it when I throw stuff together like you did and it actually tastes good...Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does it mean when you say 'about to go to seed'? Heard this saying before but as a beginner gardener/grower I dont know what it means. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When a vegetable grows it goes through various stages, ie develops first leaves then true leaves and only after it has a good root system and good leaf growth will the edible main part grow. If before this part is fully formed, in my case the cauliflower, the plant is put under stress for example too much heat or too little water it will skip the vegetable forming stage and go through to the next stage which is forming seeds for the next crop. So this is shortened to 'going to seed'. Once this happens the plants cellular structure changes and they can be pretty inedible.

      I hope this helps 😊

      Delete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.