Sunday, 26 June 2016

Day 178 - Books


Not spending on books this year (apart from my little 'blip' at the start of this month) means that slowly but surely I am working my way through my own large book collection.  I did a series of posts about all my books on the other blog last year and if I remember correctly it turned out I had over 600.  Of course by the end of the year and with Christmas presents that total grew even higher.

Now that the total is barely being added to I can really get stuck in reading through what I already have instead of adding new purchases to an ever increasing 'must read' pile.  I'm finding some that I must have bought simply because I already had the writer's previous book, maybe not even read yet, but making me want to have a 'complete set', this is something I am most definitely curing myself of.


This stacking books horizontally on top of others on the shelves is already a thing of the past so the overall total must be going down .... thank goodness.

Today is a No Spend Day

10 comments:

  1. Do I spy 'The Silver Spoon' on your shelves?
    Now that's a book to be read whilst sitting at a table, it's far too heavy to prop up on your lap!
    I love the veg recipes in it, in fact I love ALL the recipes in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read heavy books sat at the breakfast bar over a coffee when I stop for a break usually. There are some brilliant recipes in there, it's a lovely book.

      Delete
  2. I love recipe books that have a good narrative - Nigella's earlier books How to Eat & Domestic Goddess are like that, I also have a copy of The Domestic Revolution to finish reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same, I like a bit of narrative and a few lovely pictures that aren't just photos of finished dishes help to keep my interest.

      Delete
  3. Proud of myself - I waited patiently for the new Amanda Owen book which I ordered from the library and it's finally arrived!! I was so tempted to buy it. Loving it. I really like how you rate the books you've read and films you have watched. Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done you, it's a good book, I hope you enjoy it after your wait.

      Delete
  4. Good for you for realizing...As much as I read, I could never store that many books though I've had friends with more...I enjoy your ratings and recs, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think a house is a home (well not for me and LH) without lots of books, they are good insulation too, lining the walls as they do ... well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it ;-)

      Delete
  5. 600 books, wow that's a lot to get through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no rush to read them all and most of them are also reference books for the things we do ... growing things, keeping animals, self sufficiency and of course lots of lovely cook books. I bet I have a lot less than a hundred fiction books.

      Delete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.