Friday, 10 June 2016

Day 162 - A Day of Meals


I'm often asked what I eat so the other day I photographed each meal just before I got stuck in.

Above is breakfast, two of our hens eggs on a slice of seeded bread from the freezer.  

A loaf lasts for ages when loosely frozen so you can take out one slice at a time, for me a twenty one slices sliced loaf (that's the average number you get) means nineteen similar breakfasts and the crusts get whizzed into breadcrumbs for other dishes.


Lunch on this particular day was homemade Coleslaw.

It was simply shredded firm lettuce, a grated carrot, thinly sliced onion and radishes ... all from the polytunnel, with a good dollop of mayonnaise added after this photo was taken.  Sometimes I add a bit of grated cheese, or a sprinkle of salted peanuts or Fava beans, but that day I didn't.


Tea was a salmon fillet, buttered leeks and some leftover previously cooked new potatoes from the fridge.

Simple food, mostly home produced and very tasty ... and just looking at the three meals shows me why the contents of the freezer and cupboards seem to be lasting so well.  The only purchased components of these meals were the single slice of bread and the bit of ghee that the eggs were cooked in for breakfast, the dollop of mayo with lunch, the salmon fillet with tea and the numerous cups of decaf black coffee that washed it all down, everything else was produced here by me or the chickens.

Today is a No Spend Day


3 comments:

  1. Your meals all look delicious and how satisfying to have produced most of it yourself

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, and tasty too. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.