Tuesday, 7 June 2016

Day 159 - Soup on a Hot Day?


I mentioned yesterday that we ate the little Spinach and Feta pasties after a bowl of soup for our lunch over the weekend.  I guess some folk stop eating soup over the hotter days of Summer preferring instead to live off just salads and cooler sounding meals.  But in fact we find that a bowl of  tasty homemade soup is very satisfying when you come in from a hot mornings work.

Providing you are stepping into the cool of the house, the soup isn't too hot and your bowl not overly full and you follow it with something like a warmish pasty or a bowl of choppy salad and it's all served with a glass of iced water .... it's one of the tastiest and quickest lunches going.

And of course you can make the soup ahead of time so that you have the weeks portions already stashed in the fridge ready for reheating, so no standing preparing lunch over a hot stove.  The pastys or salads can also be pre-prepared and in the fridge ready for grabbing and adding to the lunch table.   A couple of minutes for each bowl of soup in the microwave and there you have it ....   soup on a hot day :-)

Today is a No Spend Day

11 comments:

  1. Soup on a hot day for us this evening, I roasted lots of veg last night - I was boiling anyway so having the oven on didn't make much difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love soup any time. What flavour have you got there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This weeks pot of soup is Leek and Potato, I have lots of lovely leeks in the net tunnel so I'm making good use of them :-)

      Delete
  3. We are still having soup for lunch often too the weather makes no difference as it is as you say a quick tasty and satisfying lunch
    What flavour are you having this week? We had beetroot and tomato yesterday.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue - I see you have given a film your first 10! Mx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted!! We saw this last Saturday it was the best film we've seen in ages. A good story, a few naturally occurring laughs and it had us and most of the audience in tears near the end, but then it ended on a high note and you came out of the cinema feeling at one with the world ... just what you need sometimes.

      Delete
  5. I'm having soup on a hot day too. I popped into the Coop yesterday and got some terrific yellow sticker bargains and had to take some soup out of the freezer to make room for my purchases. I still haven't got round to emptying the freezer to defrost it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made 'bottom of the fridge' soup yesterday. Hate waste, plus it was the only thing that suited the ingredients. Half in the freezer and some for now. And as you say its versatile, cheap, quick and nutritious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unfortunately our house is often not cool as we try not to use the air conditioning too much. So lots of salads in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We eat soup during the summer also. Make enough in the morning and can freeze extras. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Must be something in the air today! It's been very hot and sticky here (around 25C each day) but today it cooled down to about 19C and I just felt like a change so added a bowl of mushroom barley soup to the sandwich I'd brought from home.
    My A/C is being installed tomorrow and I have the day off work so I am planning on making a big pot of beef & barley soup with some veg and mushrooms added. It makes a quick and healthy supper (trying to keep my suppers a bit lower calorie wise) plus I've been taking a few meals to an elderly neighbour so it will be handy to take to him as well. I love my almost daily salads, but sometimes nothing tastes better than a good bowl of soup!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.