Monday, 6 June 2016

Day 158 - Using What We Have


My main aim during this Challenge is to make full use of what we have, no matter what it is and where it's from and I'm enjoying getting the old grey cells working and getting back to making things that I haven't made for a while.

I really fancied something in pastry the other day and now that my supermarket ready-made pastry is all but gone from the freezer, I think there is one Puff pastry and one Filo pastry pack left in the chest freezer, but no shortcrust.  So I made my own!!  It's so simple to make and buying it in even at 'yellow stickered' prices will never be as cheap as making my own.  I forgot how quick it was and now I will pretty much always make my own from scratch again.

I quickly whizzed it together in the food processor, something I have to do as I not have the requisite cold hands needed to make pastry, and by touching it as little as possible it always comes out better.


I filled my little pasties with a mix of crumbled Feta, chopped walnuts and lots of wilted spinach, they were delicious eaten two days running with a bowl of homemade soup for lunch.

Today is a No Spend Day

7 comments:

  1. I never used to make pastry before I moved to France but thinking they might not sell it, I learned to make it myself. And it is so simple and quick. I now make a double batch which is enough for 3 flan bases, so split it into 3 and freeze it. I never think to make pasties though, so thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pasties look delicious! Have you ever tried making pastry with oil? I love butter pastry, but usually make it with oil as it is so quick and easy, avoids the sat fat and makes a lovely crispy and delicious pastry. Learned it a few years ago and blogged about it here http://www.thriftylesley.com/making-pastry-with-oil/
    Counter intuitively, you need to add almost as much water as oil, otherwise you simply can't roll it out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried making it with oil, I usually use Trex vegetable fat which I guess is just solid oil really. I'll have a look at your link, thanks :-)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for all the inspiration Sue :) Can I ask for your pastry dough recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the usual - flour, half the weight of the flour in fat, I use vegetable fat, and s pinch of salt. Bind together with cold water, just a couple of spoonfuls. Bring it together into a ball, flatten slightly wrap in clingfilm and leave to chill in the fridge for half an hour before rolling out and using in your recipe.

      Delete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.