Saturday, 4 June 2016

Day 156 - Tomatoes


It's tomatoes as well as milk that's making me go out to shop each week.  

The sooner my own tomato plants start producing the delectable little red and yellow fruits the better.  I reckon I'll be saving at least £4 a week throughout the Summer months, and getting lots more tomatoes than I'm currently rationing myself to with the bought ones.


I've gotten in the habit of having a bowlful next to the kettle, this way when we're brewing up we grab a tomato or two whilst waiting for the kettle to boil instead of reaching for biscuits from the tin.  Much healthier and much, much tastier.

Today is a No Spend Day

7 comments:

  1. I like your strategy but the tomatoes here taste like nothing...I think one must grow their onward not pick them too early. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a pity that your local Aldi isn't so good; I've just gone back to shopping at Aldi and am saving a fortune (we've had a run of things breaking down and have had a very expensive couple of months). Their tomatoes on the vine were only 69p this week and look lovely (well, in our store anyway). I'm trying their frozen fish this week for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just can't get better than freshly picked home grown. Even the smell the plants leave on your hands is wonderful! Hope we get some sun though as ours are outside and last year we got mainly green ones which we ripened in the airing cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't beat home grown tomatoes. We grew them at the last house when we had a greenhouse. The smell and taste were unbeatable :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Food is far cheaper in the UK than here in Canada. It's $2.99 for that bunch of tomatoes. And that's considered cheap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $2-99 Canadian is equal to £1-59 Sterling. That bunch of tomatoes would have been at least £1-75 Sterling (in M&S probably even more) or $3.29 Canadian, therefore patently NOT cheaper in the UK than Canada!

      Delete
  6. I can't wait for my toms to come along too. Toms and strawberries are the taste of summer.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.