Wednesday, 25 May 2016

Day 146 - Simple Food



I was pondering the other day over why it seems to be taking sooooo long for the contents of the kitchen cupboards to go down, and I realised it's because we both tend to prefer and eat really simple food.

So I looked at a  typical days menu.

Breakfast is usually egg based, poached, scrambled or fried either on a slice of toast or with tomatoes and sometimes a slice or three of bacon for Lovely Hubby.

A bowl of homemade soup, with virtually all its ingredients from the polytunnel or the veggie patch will make up most lunches, and then our tea, usually eaten when all chores for the day have been completed and we are both cleaned up,  can be something like a homemade quiche put together with our own hens eggs and a handful of grated cheese from the freezer, served with salad or vegetables again from the polytunnel (or from the freezer from last years polytunnel stash).  Or simply a bowl of pasta with one of our own jars of tomato based sauce again from last years tomatoes from the polytunnel, with something meaty either on the side or mixed in for LH.

So I think the only way to consciously get the contents of the cupboards lower a bit more quickly is going to be to think outside of our comfortable eating box and mix it all up a bit.  Eat meals we haven't eaten for a while and reassess if they are the sort of meals we want to be eating again in the future, and if they aren't I simply won't buy the items again even if they are on special offer.

I've decided to start a Permanent Shopping List  listing the store cupboard items that we will carry on buying in the future, hopefully that way by the end of the year we will have a definitive list of things we need to purchase outside of those which we can produce ourselves.

Image result for simple food

I Googled 'simple food' images, and this was one of the images that came up .... not really my idea of simple food but each to their own!

Today is a No Spend Day


13 comments:

  1. Do you make veggie lasagne with your poly produce? Aubergine daube is another good veggie dish - des tomatoes too, and tastes scrummy the next day. I need to use some courgette slices & tomatoes from our freezers soon, we're nearly at the bottom of the bean drawer and just have a dozen cobs of corn left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't as yet .... but hopefully when the Aubergine plants are bigger than their current two inches in height I will be able to. Some good suggestions there, thank you :-)

      Delete
  2. Is that your bread?, if so it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is ... but I have to admit to it being an older photo from my other blog. I typed 'simple food' into my blogs search bar when the Google Images one came back with such disappointing results. My photo sums up much better what 'simple food' means to us.

      Delete
  3. Home made chips and egg is my favourite meal ever! !! I miss potatoes so much - not eaten them for 12 weeks. Any egg based meal is delicious in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It used to be a real family staple when the boys were growing up Egg and Chips, with a big dollop of tomato ketchup for dipping chips into :-)

      I seem to have little runs when I will eat potatoes regularly but then go off them for a while, or simply not think to use them, and then I revert to brown rice with everything.

      Delete
  4. Your veggies, breads and the other things you make are better for you than any burger would be. Best of luck with the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not had a proper burger for years, I can't even remember how many. But I do occasionally have a veggie burger 😊 but it's usually with a salad.

      Delete
  5. Not my idea of simple food neither. What a bland looking meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't look very appetising does it!!

      Delete
  6. If you eat like this why £50 at M&S? Stick to your guns - i am not trying to diss you i think you're doing really well with your challenge and i hope you see out the year Everyone has mad moments but please stay on track - you are quite inspirational

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do understand where you are coming from, if you look at what I actually bought at M&S it fits in with what I say above. The main outlay was on 4 packs of salmon fillets which were on offer and the reason I went a bit mad. But they will last us for the next few months, so its really not a problem.

      Delete
  7. Simple food to me, means robust and rustic. And it needs to be balanced, non processed. Loads of fresh veg and fruits. Salivating now.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.