Monday, 23 May 2016

Day 144 - We Are Every Advertisers Worst Nightmare


We are turning into every advertisers worst nightmare!!

We record all the television programmes that we watch on our Freesat box so we can whizz through the adverts, something we only realised fully when we stayed at the holiday cottage a couple of weeks ago and didn't have the ability to do this.  Sitting watching the adverts then we kept saying Why!!  What!! and WTF!!

Yes ... a lot of exclamation marks but we were incredulous at some of the adverts and the things they were promoting .... how often do you really need to change your sofa, your carpet, your bed, how much junk food do you want your family to eat, how many takeaways is it even possible to eat in one week, how many toys can your children play with and do your really want to get your child one more computer game to keep them chained to their screens when the sun is shining outdoors.  

It made us realise how much we have pared back the things we buy, the things we use and the things we eat.


We don't dash out to fill the boot of the car with new household items every Sunday or Bank Holiday, the ones we have will stay with us until they are no longer able to fulfill their purpose.  We don't rush to join in throngs of folk at the first day of the sales ..... if we didn't want something at full price the chances are we still don't want it just because it's reduced. 

I open my subscription magazines when they arrive and out fall lots of advertising brochures, I don't read them at all they go straight in the recycling bin.  If I do want something I will sit and research what I need, and where I can find it for the best possible price.   I will not have someone else tell me that I need this thing or that item to live a happy and fulfilled life.  When I used to buy magazines at the newsagents or supermarket I could take these advertising leaflets out there and put them in the bin provided, if there was no bin I would leave them on the shelf where others had left theirs ... it was always nice to know I wasn't alone in doing that one :-)

Over the past few years we have both taken back something that advertisers are trying to whittle away at  ..... and that is control of our lives.  Why follow the pack when you can run free, with just what you need and enjoy life in a simpler and more meaningful way.

Today is a No Spend Day

Photographs on this post taken from Google Images.

13 comments:

  1. This has been our mindset since we had children and stepped off the hamster wheel of life and moved to Wales in 1988. Those annoying bits in a magazine are what we light the fire with!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wondering if it's a part of the process of the passing years. I have the most income I've ever had, and the least inclination to acquire consumer goodies. I'm constantly going through the house getting rid of stuff I don't want to hang onto any more, not that that seems to show! I've never really liked shopping, and like you, don't want to take part in the sales or 'going shopping'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Lesley we've never been as well off as we are now. But I'm not the least bit interested in having all the stuff they assure us we cant possibly live without.

      Delete
  3. We're the same as you. Even if we're ready to watch a programme at the advertised time we always leave it for 15/20 minutes before we start watching so that we can whizz through the adverts. In the old days adverts used to last for a couple of minutes on television, now I think the average time is five minutes. Life is too short to waste this amount of time on watching some company's advertising for a product you have no interest in at all. Very frustrating. Don't get me started on junk mail. Even the postmen deliver the wretched things.

    Joan (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid I just don't understand the thing of shopping being a hobby for some people!
    When we want something, we do the same as you, research it, compare prices, then buy it, on line with free delivery if at all possible.
    We live quite close to the Cheshire Oaks retail outlet and cannot believe the number of people who seem to enjoy spending time there, it's absolute bedlam on bank holidays! We avoid it like the plague, although we speed past on the motorway laughing at the folk in cars, sitting in a queue before they even get to the car park! Fortunately we live on the 'right' side of the Oaks, so are always travelling in the opposite direction to the queue :-)
    I understand that when people are working full time they may have to shop at weekends, but surely spending an entire day wandering around shops, the vast majority of are clothes shops, is excessive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We only shop when we need things and even then, do our research and buy online (as long as delivery and returns are free or minimal - got caught out spending £10 to return a pair of walking boots so have learnt my lesson!). Like a reader above, the older I get, the less 'stuff' I want to possess. One question though, does anyone else sometimes feel like the odd one out in society living like this? Everywhere I look, people seem to be swept along by consumerism, getting into debt to buy what are considered 'must haves'. Thank goodness for blogs like this to keep me sane! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's only in blogland that we seem able to find so many like-minded souls. There MUST BE a growing army of us but I think most people seem keep quiet about it ... even to their families to avoid being sneered at for not finding shopping THE most entertaining thing on the planet!!.

      Delete
    2. I've had comments even from family such as 'life is too short to worry about money' and 'don't let money get in the way'!!! It can be quite isolating and lonely sometimes. You just feel that people don't understand your way of life. Fortunately, I have a wonderful aunt who was very thrifty in her earlier years and is reaping the benefits now. She was a good role model for me. Thanks for keeping so many of us inspired Sue xx

      Delete
    3. I'm like you Susan and, yes, sometimes I do feel a bit of an 'oddity' for not being caught up in the endless merry-go-round of consumerism. But I'm very happy ploughing my own furrow and, thankfully, my entire family are also very anti-consumerist too. When I hear the amounts some people spend on what I would consider total tat, I'm often flabbergasted.

      Delete
  6. I completely agree with you and do not miss having a television set for that very reason. I do not "need" anymore than I already have and have never gone shopping as a hobby. My downfall is books, but even that is waning now that I can get books for my Kindle via the local library.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do so agree about the ads on TV. I never watch them and always record a program in order to whizz through the ad breaks. Apart from the consumerism side of ads, they spoil my viewing totally. Just as we are getting to a good bit the ads come on! Grrr... Thank heavens for recording systems. My FiL passed away a couple of weeks ago and we have realised that he spent an awful lot of money sending away for things from the shopping channels. It's so sad to think how gullible he has been and we never realised the extent of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love my FF button on my Humax. One of the pleasures of living in France is that theres not so much consumerism, the shops aren't open 24/7. Closed on Sunday, some are closed Mondays and there's the 2 hour lunch breaks. Can you imagine B&Q or your Post Office being shut for 2 hours in the UK?? Plus even our local supermarkets fish counter is closed on a Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post so hard. I recently moved to the Netherlands and everyone is telling me that I *need* a bike and how cheaply I can get one. The fact is, I don't need a bike and I politely explain that I can get everywhere I need by foot or bus. The response I get is "But, they're cheap!".. They're still not cheap if I don't need one!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.