Saturday, 21 May 2016

Day 142 - Inspiration


I'm taking a little break from reading through my cookbooks to settle into a couple of inspirational books, two books that just happen to be my favourite reads of all time.

The Garden Cottage Diaries is the account by Fiona Houston of her year living in the eighteenth century (as it says in the subtitle of the book).  It's a fascinating read of how she ate, used and wore, pretty much all of the time, only things that were available then and did most of her travelling on foot.

Now that's a Challenge I admire!!

Strangely enough she did all this not far from Lovely Hubby's birthplace, and just outside the same village that my sister in law now lives in, Innerleithen which is in Peeblesshire, Scotland.


I say strangely because for years and years, way back when my boy were young this was one of my favourite books (and still is) and we've ended up living not far away from where Elizabeth West and husband had their home, and occasionally we shop in Llanrwst just the way she did.

Making the time to read my way slowly through my own books during this year of not buying any new ones, is one of the best bits for me.  It also means that the books that I bought either new or from car boot sales and charity shops that I decide are not worth keeping will make us some money when we sell them, and this cash will go towards paying off the mortgage and we will have more space on the bookshelves for the books that we do decide have earnt their place.

Today is a No Spend Day


14 comments:

  1. You have picked out two of my favourite books! I have just re-read the Cottage Diaries and have read and retread all Elizabeth West's
    "Hovel" books many times. When we were very hard up I used her cookery book along with one by Shirly Goode.
    One thing I couldn't bring myself to do was use any old colour to darn and patch the family's clothes as she did with her husband's. I had to have material ( usually cut from an even older pair of trousers etc) or thread, that vaguely matched! Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep,I have Shirley's books too. Sadly she died 18 months ago 😞

      Delete
  2. Hi Sue, I too re-read my frugal books quite frequently, my most read one is "how i lived a year on just a pound a day" by Kath Kelly. i absolutely love that book. i also have 3 of Elizabeth Wests in the Hills books (hovel, kitchen, garden). I also like to re-read Through the kitchen Window and The magic apple tree by Susan Hill.
    I am loving your "A year without" blog, so much inspiration. Its certainly made me realise i dont need to shop as much as i used to. we have so much stuff in the cupboards and freezers and im loving being creative with recipes. Carry on the good work xx jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment, yes I have all the books you mention 😊

      Delete
  3. That first book looks devilishly enticing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is well worth buying 😊

      Delete
  4. Love both of those books, especially Garden Cottage. As you say, they're inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got both of them too! Not read the first one yet but Hovel in the Hills I just couldn't put down and read it in record speed. In fact now you mentioned it I might just re-read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know any of these books but I'm going to hunt them out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. funnily enough I just picked up Hovel in the Hills from my brother. I am really savouring it and loving the beautiful descriptions

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it really 18 months since we lost Our dear Shirley, its flown by. i have 3 of Shirleys books and also her blog is still saved to my favourites list. I bet shes up there now cooking loads of delicious meals for her beloved hubby, bless her.
    jane xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of the first one but will look out for it.Hovel in the hills is one of my favourite books,love,love,love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are two of my favourite books too : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these books too xxx

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.