Friday, 20 May 2016

Day 141 - I Didn't Make It Through May!!


Money Spent Today - £53.50  Vouchers/Coupons/Points Spent - £0
Money Spent in Total - £239.36
Vouchers/Coupons/Points Spent in Total - £109.25
Money left in Housekeeping Fund - £89.35

The day started so well.  I nipped into Tesco as I was getting fuel for the car and bought a bottle of milk for £1.10.  Then I went onto Llandudno to run some errands ....


.... and lost the plot completely!!

I went in M&S to see if there was anything we needed for the weekend with this weeks remaining £5 voucher.  Browsing the shelves is dangerous .... I spotted our favourite salmon fillets on special offer.  Somehow four packets of them ended up in my basket then I remembered I had a 'get £3 worth of points on a £50 shop' coupon in my purse and decided I might as well make it up to the £50, so I added fish in batter and some chicken in breadcrumbs (they were on a '3 for £10' offer), some sliced meats and some of our favourite 'travel' sweets to the basket.


My bill came to £52.40 !!

Total madness!!   I must have been on another planet because I wasn't wearing my Make It Through May hat at all.  I had a brief thought that I could just stash the shopping in the freezer and keep my mouth shut ..... but that lasted all of five minutes.  I couldn't cheat or mess this Challenge up now, it would just be cheating myself and not teaching us anything about our spending habits for next year.

Of course I had to use my M&S card to pay for the shopping to qualify for the offer, so I will be putting the cash from the Challenge tin straight into the bank ready to pay it off next month.


The only good thing to come out of this was a £5 off a £35 spend, to be used before the end of the month.  So I will have to make use of this to grab back some of the cash I spent in such a willy nilly fashion.  It's irking me no end that I have fallen into their trap not once but twice!!


And of course I totally forgot to use the two vouchers that I did have in my purse  :-(

Not my best day, and shock, horror the cash in the Challenge tin has now fallen to less than a hundred pounds.  I have some serious scrimping and saving to do if this Challenge is not going to limp to a sad end before July.

Today I Shopped
and I did NOT Make It Through May  

It's time to brush myself down and make a real effort to get back on track ..... somehow.

19 comments:

  1. We all have moments of madness. I have been reading your blog every day for a month now and am amazed at how you have stuck to your challenge so well. Don't let one day spoil the achievements you have made. You will soon be getting your own vegetables and will be back on track in no time. You are an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear:( Now come on Sue, look at that temptation- why is it good to use that till receipt? Getting £5 off another £35 spend means you will be spending another £30, just don't do it. Otherwise you will have spent, in total, £85, less the £5 off, plus £3 worth of points. Come on, you can resist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have made great strides and can do so again...Can you get a cow for milk? (asked in some but not complete jest) that way, not so tempted...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gawd no ..... don't give LH ideas ;-)

      Delete
  4. Totally agree with DC, throw the receipt away. That is exactly the trap the supermarkets want us to fall into. You're doing so well, don't fall for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To me your "splurge" shows that you are human like the rest of us. I think when we scrimp and deny ourselves for too long there comes a breaking point.

    Your challenge is inspirational but you have to use it as a lesson in real life living. You don't want to deny yourself some of the things you love, like salmon, for the rest of your life so it is important to include them in your meal planning this year. It would be one thing if you were going into debt to buy the items. I hope that I am making sense.

    I grew up in a family where denial was taken to the extreme not because we didn't have the money but so that we could "save" more. I have tried to have more balance in my life. That is what I hope for you, too.

    I do agree with others, though, that those money off receipt are often a trap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your honesty!!! Just hop back on. I'm cheering you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you trade your remaining vouchers and till receipt with a neighbour/family/friend for cash? If they are going to spend in m&s it might be worth the trade save you being tempted again.

    If you do the £35 shop to use the till receipt can you use your 2 vouchers sometimes they don't allow you to use vouchers in conjunction with another offer...so you'd technically have to shop twice? Unless you can keep the 2 vouchers for another month?


    Don't beat yourself up though Sue. You have done an amazing job on your overall challenge. Chin up and carry on. You've got into nearly the end of May spending a fraction of what most probably spend in 5 months. Some families spend that amount in a month! So good going Sue and I know you can carry on. You'll make it work as long as you can :)

    It's not the amount of times we fall its the getting back up thats important :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I do the £35 shop I have more than enough vouchers to cover it all, that's why I am considering using it.

      I'll see what we need at the end of the month and spend the voucher just before it expires :-)

      Delete
    2. If it helps get you through June fair enough :)

      Delete
  8. Oh dear I'm glad I'm not the only one! I went to Sainsbury's today as I had a voucher for £9 off a £60 spend and only had a small list. I tried to keep a tally as I shopped. The bloomin' bill was £100.57. On the plus side they gave me another voucher for £9 off next week!! No doubt your M&S haul will be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is why I love your blog!! You are honest and human. I am about to fail too. I set a strict budget for food this month as we've definitely been overspending (mainly protein for the stretching teen with hollow legs). We were on track until I met the fish van in the village and I bought salmon, lemon sole, haddock and fish cakes. Oh dear! However, I'm justifying this (kind of) as a lovely relative has just sent me some new items of clothing and shoes which I was needing and she didn't want. So I've saved some money in the long run. The growing teen also needed new trousers as his were half way up his legs so I had to spend on that. I needed to send a new baby present but bought this for a third of the price in a sale recently. It was wrapped in recycled paper and posted in recycled brown paper. I do try! I also made some birthday cards to send and those cost me nothing except time. Enjoy your purchases. Maybe your body was needing the food you bought. Have a good weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aren't the Tesco vouchers due out soon? I was hoping they'd be out this week to save me from failing but no such luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bummer!

    On the plus side, you now have lots of meat that should last for quite a long time. Buying sale meat is not an unsucessful action. I know you are kicking yourself, but hey! you have a lot of meals there. You can see how far you can stretch those meats by bulking them out and using them in smaller portions than you normally would. It's one of those 'I screwed up, now let me see how I can salvage this situation' moments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Mila, you'll get lots of meals from the meat and fish. The annoying part is the forgetting to use the coupons! I wish I had a dollar for every time I've done that!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't give up now ,the above comments are right that you have many meals there and they can be padded out with your veges you are growing.Along with you coupons and cash you have enough to last you to the end of the year if you are really careful and keep in mind the end goal.Try buying milk in bulk and freeze it to save going in the shop to buy it more often.x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry about the cow...it was said in some jest...I hope the rest of the year is better for you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha .... don't worry about it 😊

      Delete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.