Saturday, 2 April 2016

Day 93 - Mix Your Own Soup Mix


I used to buy packs of Soup Mix from any of the big supermarkets or from Approved Foods when it was on offer, and indeed I would again if there was a good offer on it.  But one day when my jar was almost empty I had a good look at what was actually in the mix ... and discovered I had virtually everything it contained in the jars on my shelves already.

So I made myself a mix.


Oats, lentils (a mix of colours), split peas and barley are what I usually use.  You just have to make sure that the things you mix together do not need soaking overnight and then rapid boiling, such as kidney beans ... if these weren't cooked properly you could make yourself seriously ill.  All you need to do if you want to add something like this is deal with them separately when you come to make your soup.

You can turn this into a simple soup on it's own by just cooking it in a pan full of stock, or do as I do and add a handful of this mix to bulk out your vegetables or bottom of the fridge offerings.

It makes for a tasty and cheap pan full of soup for weekday lunches.

Today is a No Spend Day

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sue thanks for this. Can you give me a good recipe to start with please? Something wholesome and tasty 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My most basic and most used recipe is simply : 2 onions, 2 carrots, 2 sticks of celery all chopped, 2 shredded dark green cabbage (or similar) leaves, a handful of the soup mix all put in a pan with some boiling water and a couple of stock cubes or teaspoons of bouillon powder. Bring it all to the boil and then simmer for a couple of hours. Whizz up or leave chunky depending on how you like it, then taste and season with salt and pepper.

      Delete
  2. Thank you!! Slowly reading my way through your year so far and have been waiting of for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you did ask for my mix didn't you, I totally forgot to answer :-(

      Delete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.