Monday, 11 April 2016

Day 102 - Emptying the Fridge


It's been my mission for the last week to eat from the contents of the fridge, especially the things that were at or beyond their Best Before dates.  These cheeses were a case in point, their dates were up at the start of February but there was absolutely nothing wrong with either of them.  If you think of cheeses sat maturing on shelves in cold stores for years to develop flavour, it makes you realise that it is possible to use your senses, and your common sense to determine whether some foods are safe to eat even if they are officially 'out of date'.


Of course we couldn't eat two full 'parmesan' style cheeses in a few days so I did my usual trick of grating them ready for freezing.  Unfortunately the fine grating disc on my food processor  that I used to use for Parmesan broke a couple of years ago so I've found my own way round the problem.  I grate it on the next size up grating disc in the main food processor and then tip the gratings into my mini food processor .....


... which then crumbs up all the gratings to a small enough size for sprinkling on the many dishes we use this sort of cheese for.


Packaged in a resealable tub with the rind, which I use to add flavour to soups and stews, and then labelled, the tub now resides in the freezer and there is even less food left in the fridge.

Today is a No Spend Day

6 comments:

  1. My rule for out of date or after use by date is, if it isn't trying to run off of its own accord or hasn't turned into an amorphous alien at the bottom of the fridge, smell it ! If it still smells like it would when fresh, eat it ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please be much more careful with 'Use by' dates, these are not the same as Best Before dates!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm careful alright. And I'm not promoting the consumption of food that has gone off.
      But use your senses (common or not) to judge and don't be wasteful with food. x

      Delete
  3. We are eating far less cheese so I tend to cut the block in two straight away and freeze one half. it becomes more crumbly but no waste! Every penny counts in this house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are eating far less cheese so I tend to cut the block in two straight away and freeze one half. it becomes more crumbly but no waste! Every penny counts in this house.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.