Thursday, 31 March 2016

Day 91 - Last Day of Month Three

Banana Cake

Money Spent This Month - £40.61   Vouchers/Coupons/Points Spent - £17.00
Money Spent in Total - £88.58
Vouchers/Coupons/Points Spent in Total - £71.50
Money left in Housekeeping Fund - £240.13
No Spend Days  25/31

Total Spent Cash/Vouchers/Coupons/Points   £160.08
Weekly Average £12.31
No Spend Days Cumulative - 76/91

Another month gone already, where is the time going to!!

Once again the spending has crept up a little bit more than I would have like it too.  Bread and milk have featured high on the things that I have bought regularly this month, as I have some bread flour in the cupboard I think for this coming month I will try to make more at home and buy less from the shops.  I can't do much about milk, but buying only one four pint bottle a week is pretty good.  We had some over from last weekend so it's been popped into the freezer ready for next weekend so that will save one weeks purchase.

My biggest learning curve this month - the knowledge that once the homegrown salad items kick in a little bit more, rather than being the trimmings to add to bought salad items we will save a fortune, because apart from the bread and milk my most regular purchases seem to be peppers, cucumbers and tomatoes all things that I grow in the polytunnel.

How am I feeling at the end of Month Three -  determined to use more vouchers next month and less cash.  I need to keep the cash in the tub and shop with my vouchers as I want to get the average weekly cash spend down.

5 comments:

  1. Firstly I think you are doing remarkably well to spend so little and I think there are few of us who could claim to do better.l certainly couldn't though I am not even buying any daily deals from a certain section of "A" beginning with "k" and have not bought anything from our local charity shops lately as I'm filling their shelves instead at present.
    I was thinking about bread making and wondering whether part of your problem is that at this time of year you are too busy outside to have time to make bread without using a bread machine. How would the economics of using a bread machine during your really busy times work out? Not having to buy bread might mean fewer trips to the shops,ie fewer temptations to buy other offers. I know that that is my downfall.
    However as I said at the beginning you set us all a fantastic example and this is more of a muse than anything else as I'm sure you will have thought it through! Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have a bread machine .... it hardly ever got used!! We both much prefer bread made by hand and it really doesn't take much time. I can get it all going first thing in the morning and then while I am out and about with chickens or vegetables it can be rising away in the kitchen.

      The main drawback with machines we found was the hole left in the base of the bread, and I know you can take it out once it is kneaded and bake in the oven to counter this ... but then in my opinion there is no point in the breadmaker in the first place. Also it makes one smallish loaf, I tend to make at least two large ones at a time, one for immediate use and one for the freezer. My Kenwood does the first main kneading for me, I just leave it running for 5 - 10 minutes while I load the washing machine or something and then I take over briefly to see how the dough is and pop back into the mixer bowl for rising.

      It's just me getting out of the habit I think that has stopped me from baking a batch of bread each week, it's a habit I do need to get back too!!

      Delete
    2. I was sure you would have thought it through. I totally agree that it would be pointless having a machine just to prove the bread though since I lost my old fashioned boiler which stood in the kitchen and took on some of the tasks your Aga does ie proving bread and drying/ airing clothes and keeping sick animals warm, I have problems getting my bread to rise as we are very frugal with heating. Sue

      Delete
  2. You are doing really well and set us all a very good example. I try and make my own bread to avoid extra trips to the supermarket so avoiding temptation. I don't have much room to grow my own veggies etc but our new home has a small patch which is suitable so I am going to try my hand at growing a few salad things once the soil warms up a bit. Here in the NE of England the ground is still very wet and cold.
    Keep up the great work you are doing and thank you for sharing and inspiring me.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was your previous blog that spurred me on to do something about our spending, so thank you for that. Most of our money goes on milk and I'm trying to make bread in between the DIY and gardening jobs. I enjoy reading your tips every day. I have A Year in 120 Recipes now, a present for Mothers Day but the jury is still out. For me, nowhere near as good as the 1st book but there are some recipes I want to try.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.