Friday, 18 March 2016

Day 78 - Wrapping Food


Wrapping food well is the best way to make it last as long as possible.  

If you store things in the fridge things will dry out more quickly if they are not wrapped properly, and in the freezer things will develop 'freezer burn' if they are not tightly and sometimes doubly wrapped.

If homegrown things, such as these two carrots and the turnip are only going to be in the fridge for a few hours or overnight then I will just pop them into a polythene bag, this just traps a bit of moisture with them.

I have tried many methods of salad storage over the years but the one I stick with now is to wrap any opened salad food tightly excluding any air and in the case of salad or vegetable leaves of any description once ashed and spun in the salad spinner I wrap them first in paper kitchen roll before placing them in a 'Stayfresh' or other type of bag.  The kitchen paper takes the moisture from the vegetable and feeds it back when it is needed.  The exception to this is cucumber which I keep in it's original packaging where possible (except for home grown ones of course) and then add a layer of cling film, making sure the cut end is tightly covered.

Recently whenever I have mentioned doing this I have been advised that celery is best kept in tinfoil rather than the kitchen paper and 'Stayfresh' bag method that I use, so I gave it a shot with my last bunch of celery to see if it made a difference.  I found it to be equally successful in helping the celery stay as fresh as when it was opened for quite a few weeks.  So in future I may vary from method to method.

And of course if you are careful with the foil you can smooth it out and use it for something else once all the celery has been used up, just as I have been using my Stayfresh bags for years now.  Simply washed, rinsed and left to air dry they are as good now as when I opened the original packet about five years ago!!

Today is a No Spend Day

3 comments:

  1. I've recently discovered stay fresh bags and think they are brilliant, I hadn't thought of the paper towel trick so thank you for telling me that tip I will try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this. I'll give it a try. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best method we have found is to place a dry tea towel on the bottom of the crisper drawer, place washed veg on top then put a slightly damp tea towel on top and tuck it all in. We buy our veg at a farmers market and find it will last 2 weeks easily using this method.
    I like that you reuse all your bags - my grandma always rinsed and reused her plastic bags. Up until recently I haven't had a spot I could dry them but will need to try it with snap lock bags. Melissa.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.