Friday, 11 March 2016

Day 71 - No Waste


The best way to save money is not to spend.  It sounds so simple and IT IS!!

The best way not to spend is to make good use, very good use of everything you have, whether this is food, clothes, books or other possessions, and that is what is at the forefront of my mind for the duration of this year ... and beyond.

So, with this in mind I am using every part of the vegetables I pick, in this case the stalks were chopped to go in the soup that the leaves were added to later ...


... and I'm reading the books on my bookshelves in preference to buying new ones or going to the library.  

I'm also wearing my clothes until they are unwearable ..... a T shirt developed serious holes yesterday after I caught it on something.  The fabric was that thin it couldn't be mended and would have been pretty useless even as a duster (of which I have lots) so it went on the fire last night.  It burned really well and gave us ten minutes of good heat .... useful right until the end.

Today is a No Spend Day

9 comments:

  1. Do you use every inch of a spring onion? I know this sounds like an odd question but i want to use everything i can but was taught that the green stalks on a spring onion are chopped off and thrown. Seems a waste to me but never been taught different. Do the stalks have flavour? Can they be used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just chp the extreme tips off as they will be dry roots and tips. Use every bit of the rest of the spring onion, chopping the green ends quite finely.

      It's always good to question what you have been taught :-)

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I want to reduce our waste as much as possible. Your blog, tips, challenge etc have been a big inspiration and a big help :)

      Delete
  2. I use the roots of the green onion too, after I read they are highly prized by some Chinese chefs.
    Your posts are inspiring me to slow down and look at what I already have in my pantry, fridge and freezer. We have almost cut out our eating out too much habit. It has really made a huge difference in my grocery spending. I saved $400 dollars in February. I am so pleased!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool never heard that about the chinese. They have a fantastic diet though. 400 is an amazing saving!! Well done

      Delete
  3. The top parts of the spring onion are VERY oniony and great in soups, stir fries, quiches or something like Colcannon. They also freeze well.

    Like you, we always wear our clothes till unwearable - what started off as smart, goes through being everyday, then gardening, then painting and then polishing rags!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have begun chopping and using the green parts of the onion and keeping the white ends with the roots attached in a little jar (or shotglass) of water on my sink. The green ends regrow within days and, if you change the water frequently, you can keep growing new shoots for weeks! I have had my current bunch for over a month now! I just chop the green ends off as I need them with a pair of scissors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try this, great tip.

      Delete
    2. I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.