Thursday, 10 March 2016

Day 70 - Simple Veggie Stew


I love a simple Vegetable Stew .... and I mean simple!!

Half a bag of homemade Veg Hash 
(which is finely chopped onion, celery and carrot, packed in bags and frozen ready for use
1 sweet potato and 1 'normal' potato, both chopped  
a teaspoon or two of bouillon powder
1 tsp turmeric
black pepper


Bring to the boil and then simmer until the potatoes are nice and soft.


Eat and enjoy half of the Veggie Stew as it is, maybe with a hunk of crusty bread to mop up the lovely juices, and then whizz up the other half with a stick blender for a delicious bowl of soup the next day.

Today is another No Spend Day

5 comments:

  1. I remove half of the veg from the pan and stick blend the rest so the stock I thicker naturally. We are trying to steer clear of gravy granules and thickening agents. Your stew looks delicious. Love sweet potatoes. I'm going to see if I can grow some this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do something similar when I'm doing what we have started calling a 'half whizzed soup'. I leave everything in the pan and just blitz about half of it. It suits us both as I like smooth soups and LH likes chunky soups :-)

      Delete
  2. I hadn't thought about freezing packs of veg like that - what a good idea. Do you blanch them or anything? They'd be jolly handy to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I just chop everything in the food processor and then freezer in plastic bags.

      I used to freeze it in tubs but now I find that if you freeze it in flattened bags you can snap off the amount you need and then reseal the bag, AND they store easier in the freezer simply stacked on top of each other.

      Delete
  3. Great tips here, love the half smooth, half chunky idea.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.