Friday, 26 February 2016

Day 57 - Choppy Salad


Before I went shopping yesterday I turned most of the salady things left in the drawer of the fridge into a choppy salad.  Lots of you know that I do this as I've posted about it before on my other blog, but for anyone that doesn't it's simply a mix of pre-chopped salad vegetables ready to be used as a base for all sorts of meals.

We use it as it is with some lettuce for a basic salad to serve with meat, fish portions, pies or a slice of homemade quiche, I add it to cooked brown rice with a dollop of mayo for a rice salad, or the same with some cooked pasta for a pasta salad.  I also take out a few tablespoonfuls and chop it a bit finer, add in some grated cheese and turn it into a really tasty sandwich filler.

It's a really good way to get more salad into yourself, all the prep is done in one fell swoop and it sits in the fridge quite happily for up to a week.  If the salad is a bit wet I put a folded piece of kitchen roll on top of the veggies, put the lid back on and then sit the tub upside down in the fridge, the paper absorbs the excess moisture and helps keep the salad fresher for longer.

Today is a No Spend Day


5 comments:

  1. Love the tip about covering with kitchen roll to soak up any liquid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea I must try doing this, I'm sure I would eat more salad that way and waste less too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did exactly this yesterday when rummaging in the salad drawer. I used 3 peppers, cucumber, 3 spring onions and a red onion. I've been doing it ever since I got the tip from your other blog. It's really handy and saves faffing at a later date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your tip re: putting kitchen roll on top of the salad and then turning upside down. I will start doing that now :)

    I follow your blogs daily, they have really been a source of inspiration. I have been decluttering all week and organizing my kitchen. Life truly has become so much easier and better organized for me since I've reconsidered the amount of stuff I need and the amount of waste I have been guilty of in the past. I love this daily blog and continue to wish you great success.

    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks lovely and fresh. I like the kitchen roll tip to, as I always seem to end up with soggy cucumber.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.