Monday, 22 February 2016

Day 53 - Homegrown Pickings


Sometimes when I bring the pickings in from the polytunnel and give them their second wash in the sink, I have to stand back and admire the colours.  On this occasion I grabbed the camera and took a photo.

All this was chopped up, added to a couple of potatoes from the cupboard and a bag of veg hash from the freezer and turned into a very tasty pan of soup.  Just having access to this lovely fresh, homegrown food is why the food cupboards and the contents of the freezers are going down so slowly .

Today is another No Spend Day

6 comments:

  1. Such vibrant colours. Homegrown food is the best and tastier than you can buy in the shops. But what is the bright pink thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a radish, I don't know what variety. I had a pack of mixed seeds and about a dozen of the radishes were like this .... they are VERY crunchy, mild and tasty, and also as you can see very long :-)

      Delete
    2. I love Radishes! You've definitely got your moneys worth out those seeds because it is long, so vibrant so it will be full of goodness. I love them eaten alone or as part of a salad but I've never thought about putting them in a meal or soup before. Thanks for tip :)

      Delete
  2. So beautiful! (& sounds yummy too ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put a couple of cabbages in my greenhouse over winter and I'm using the outer leaves in soups. The colour of the soup isn't appetising but I now its full of goodness. I'm hoping to do more next year so I can gather bits like you.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.