Wednesday, 17 February 2016

Day 48 - Buttery Breadcrumbs


There was a solitary crust of bread leftover in the bread bin after the weekend, now I used to loved this thick end slice from the loaf smothered in butter for a tasty treat but times and tastes have changed.  Usually I would have crumbled it into the chicken scraps bowl and given it to them with their morning ration of corn ... but not this time, and indeed not for the last few times.


I crumbled it all up finely with my fingers, no need for a food processor for a single slice of bread, and usually here I would just tip it into a tub and put it straight into the freezer, but for a change I decided to melt a knob of butter smoosh the crumbs around in it and put it in the bottom oven of the Aga for 30 minutes.  Giving the breadcrumbs a shake every 10 minutes to make sure they were drying out evenly and not sticking.


So they turned from this pale insipid soft pile into the lovely buttery crumbs you see in the jar at the top of the post.  Now they are tucked at the back of the fridge waiting to be put to good use with some more leftovers.

Today is a No Spend Day

11 comments:

  1. I don't have a 'whizzy' thing (kitchen too small) so I just use the cheese grater to make bread crumbs. However, it leaves bits of bread behind so I freeze these to make croutons for soup. Buttery crumbs sound lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good idea. How do you come up with them? We usually just put left over bread on our shed roof for the birds. How do you get your bread to go stale rather than off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put mine in the toaster on a light toast then leave it to finish drying on the side for an hour. Its normally quite dry then and will crumb easily.

      Delete
    2. I just put it out on the worktop for a couple of hours before crumbing it up. It dries out in the warm air of the kitchen. Come to think of it, I have not had any bread go mouldy for a long time. I think the preservatives they put into commercial breads are better than they used to be and homemade bread gets eaten too quickly to ever get the chance of going off.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant idea, going to do this. Same question here, how long will they last?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've popped this jar in the fridge as I think I will be using them quite soon, but they would keep indefinitely in the freezer.

      Delete
  4. I crumb and freeze any left over bread its so hand to top dishes. Cauliflower cheese if really good as the fat from the cheese makes the crumb really crispy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I froze a tub of breadcrumbs recently, shaking a few times in the freezer. However when I used them to coat some fish, they'd gone soggy and didn't do the job. Should I have toasted them first and stored in an airtight tub? I'm not sure where I went wrong!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always exclude as much air as possible. Air in a tub in the freezer will convert to moisture very easily. As I use things from the tubs in the freezer I decant them into smaller and smaller containers before I put them back, or bag up things such as breadcrumbs so I can squeeze the air out completely.

      You don't have to toast the crumbs first, I rarely do, just make sure the bread is quite stale, or leave out in the air to go stale before you crumb it up.

      Delete
  6. I dry mine (v. low oven, spread out on a tray) so all moisture is removed and then they will store for a good while in a glass jar in the pantry. I use them mainly to make home-made stuffing with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely idea! I usually just crumb mine and put them in a bag in the freezer to use, I imagine they taste yummy! xx

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.