Tuesday, 16 February 2016

Day 47 - The Last Courgette



This week's pan of 'fridge soup' has all sorts of bits and pieces in it.  

I raided the veg drawer of the fridge for any sad looking specimens, and I picked and plucked as I watered the polytunnel, currently a once a week job thank goodness, as all the rain that has fallen on our hillside has trickled down and is keeping the soil just beneath the surface nice and moist.


I also put a quarter of this, the last Courgette sliced and diced into the pot.  It's lasted really well.   Inside the now slightly tougher skin is a lovely moist, tasty and very edible courgette.  I know it is of Marrow size but it is most definitely a Courgette, they all grew so fast last year that even with giving the chickens at least one huge one a day I couldn't keep up with them  ;-)

It added a tasty bulk to the pan of soup that was split into a weekend lunch and a lunch or two for Lovely Hubby at work and  a pan full sat in the fridge for my lunches all week.  So that's the last Courgette started off and there are three Pumpkins still glowing orange at me from the conservatory windowsill.

Today is a No Spend Day



9 comments:

  1. You're doing really well with this challenge. I love reading your blog for tips its helping me learn tŕicks to save a bit of money so thank you for sharing. Please keep them coming because we really need to get our weekly food household and toiletries spend down. Ps that is a big courgette! What did you do with other 3/4 of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wrapped and in the fridge, and will be added to a Ratatouille for the weekend :-)

      Delete
  2. Sue I want to say I so enjoy reading your posts, you are a inspiration. I so enjoyed your carrot soup recipe that you posted last week. In fact I had it five days on the trot.
    I am working on getting through my freezer we have certainly reduced my bin waste by half. Thank you Sue for sharing your challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am amazed at the speed courgettes can grow, they do seem to be multiplying almost while you are looking at them sometimes don't they! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope my courgettes do better thus year. They are a great little BIG vegetable. Mine weren't being pollinated so they suffered end rot. Looking forward to trying again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our French neighbours thought we were mad last year as we grew 15 courgette plants. Are you feeding the hamlet they asked?? But I managed to not waste any, as they were frozen, made into chutney, pickled, given away and made into dinners. Perhaps less this year though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. we always said those of that size were big as ball bats, grin, hope you enjoyed the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had 2 little pumpkins stored in the kitchen, by the fruit bowl. Sadly, they went rotten and were too far gone by the time the rot showed to be used. February is a very long time to be able to store courgette. I haven't had anything from the garden for quite a while now. Do you just keep them somewhere cool and dry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have actually all just been sat on the conservatory windowsill since they were harvested and hardened off. I'm surprised at how well they have kept.

      Delete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.