Tuesday, 9 February 2016

Day 40 - The Freezer



The chest freezer is full.  The meat we bought yesterday took us almost to the top ... the thing is we really need to get to the bottom.  I don't even know what is lurking down there.

I have told myself a few times that I must, really must, set to and make an inventory of exactly what is in there so that I don't go out and buy anything we already have, and so that what we do have will be made best use of.  But when it's this full the thought of emptying it and writing it all down seems just too big of a job ... and a cold one at that!!

Why is it so full, well mostly because we waste nothing!!  Any meal that leaves leftovers means something else to go in the freezer either as they are or in the form of another meal.  

For example I had a salmon bun one day last week, just the one ... so there was half a tin of salmon leftover.  I could have just put it in a dish in the fridge and had the same again for lunch the next day,  but I quickly made up a bit of mash, chopped a spring onion or two from the polytunnel, added some seasoning, a pinch of chilli flakes and turned the half tin of salmon into four chunky fish cakes ... and put them in the freezer. 

 Brilliant use of what I had but this sort of thing obviously fills the freezer quicker than I am emptying the cupboards.  Also because Lovely Hubby is the only one that eats meat in this house and now usually he only does this two or three times a week,  what we have bought now that it's portioned into single meal packs will or should last us for a quite a long time.

All this makes me realise even more that it's time I did an inventory, if nothing else it will let us see how many meals we actually have in there.  I bet there is a lot more than I think!!

Today is a No Spend Day


17 comments:

  1. I have exactly the same dilemma, I know I'll feel better if I make an inventory and actually see what is in there but I keep putting it off. Now I have read this post Im hoping it will spur me into action and I will tackle the job in hand! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you photograph it in batches as you take it out then write your list from the photographs? Your food is well labelled so it may save a little on the coldness factor :) It's something I've done myself when I've emptied our freezers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would recommend wearing a double layer of Marigolds - bizarrely they will reduce the frozen fingers! I tend to sort into food groups in big bags as I empty, then put all but one back in as I write down what's in each bag. Saves everything starting to defrost as I work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good idea .... thanks :-)

      Delete
  4. My chest freezer's just the same. I can see the top few layers and the rest is from memory. I don't keep it very organised - food is just placed in any gap. Must try harder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every so often I empty our (much smaller than yours) freezer and list the contents and then plan meals around what we have, which like you is often bits and pieces from leftovers. I reheat small bits of things from the freezer for my lunches when I am at home. Makes good use of it all doesn't it. You are so right about the things you want always being at the bottom, how does that happen! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woe, your freezer looks full of yummy stuff. We have 3 freezers which are difficult to keep on top of. One though is full with our produce from the garden which we are gradually working through. In the other two we keep bread, milk, meat, leftovers, pastry, overflow from the fruit and veg etc. I need to give mine a good look at, to see what needs using up next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is why we no longer have a chest freezer but two upright ones, much easier to keep on top of the inventory. Mind you that said, I do occasionally forget to cross things off the list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well it looks very organised ... And very full! It's not a job I'd fancy, but I definitely remember a certain person saying to me that you 'just need to get on and start it and not think about it'! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha..... Too late, I've thunk for too long and another day has passed ;-)

      Delete
  9. I'm not sure what Marigolds are but I wear a pair of 'freezer only' gardening gloves when I'm sorting things in the freezer. It's amazing how warm they keep your hands! We got rid of our huge chest freezer, it had served us well for over 30 years, and got an upright. I made an inventory for each shelf and the door. It's worked well for about 2 years but, unfortunately, when the freezer is really full, I start shifting thinks around-move 2 smaller things to fit in a bigger thing and the 2 smaller things end up on different shelves. I'm sure you get my drift, now it's partly mixed up and all the shifting about wasn't noted in the inventory book! So, it's time for a re-sort and get organized again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I do an inventory this happens!!

      If I do ever get round to doing it I'll have to be strict with myself.

      Delete
  10. I am always surprised at what I find - usually meat, as I try to keep that on the bottom in case of a long power outage. My freezer is smaller than yours and I do a complete clean-out usually only once/year, but if I slack off about keeping a list and crossing off/adding items, it gets out of hand and then I have to clean it out sooner. You'd think l'd learn!
    I wear mittens and use plastic laundry baskets to organize things as they come out of the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What do you use to freeze your leftovers in? We recently bought an upright freezer which I'm hoping helps to keep things organized. Do you keep your inventory list on paper or on one of those dry-eraser boards - I'm in Canada so you might call this something different.

    Thanks,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I freeze things in what suits them best. So plastic boxes, recycled butter or yoghurt pots, freezer bags or just layered normal bags. For things that might stick together I use Easyleave between slices or individual items.

      I use paper to list my freezer contents .... when I eventually get round to do it. Scrap paper for a first rough list and then I'll copy it onto the computer and print out something I will actually be able to read a few weeks later ;-)

      Delete
  12. Wow your freezer looks amazing but I can see how doing an inventory will help but it must be a daunting task. My freezer is ver empty having just moved but it's starting to get a few bits in it. I need to do some more shopping before the weekend so no doubt some more things will be added.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.