Thursday, 4 February 2016

Day 35 - A Year Without ... Books


As it says in the title this year long Challenge is not just about the minimal housekeeping money it's also about NOT buying any new clothes or books.  Those of you who know me well, either in real life or through my other blog, will know that doing without books for me will be much harder than the clothes thing.

BUT, what this is doing already just over a month into the Challenge is making me see the books that I do own through new eyes.  Making me want to take them down off the shelves and read them.  I have decided that any recipe book that gets less than 10 little sticky post-its on recipes I want to make, will be leaving the house at this years car boot sale.  If there are just one or two things we fancy I will photocopy the recipes and add them to my folder and pop the book in the car boot sale box.

Yesterday I was reading about Jack Monroe's new book, the one that she is currently working on (and that I WILL be getting when it comes out later this year as I took part in the funding for it last year ... phew!!), and it made me want to get out her first book and work my way through it again seeing what recipes I want to try out.


What better than Jack's book to help me make things for pennies, easily and quickly.  There are some brilliant ideas, and I've already used half a packet of post-its ....  it'll be staying for sure.

Today is a No Spend Day

13 comments:

  1. I borrowed The Yorkshire Shepherdess from the library and I'm loving it! Thanks for the recommendation. Our house is bursting full of books and we're not buying any more (my son still does though). A couple of magazines a month find their way into the house but these are now on subscription which is much cheaper and also saves going into town to buy them as they are delivered by post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love this book. I have lots of scraps of paper sticking out between the pages, marking all the things I want to try. But I have made the falafels, apple and cinnamon cake and the Firecracker Sausages and all totally delicious. Don't forget A Year in 120 Recipes which was Jack's 2nd book which looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have that one too :-)

      She considers her new book, out in May of this year, to be the sequel to 'A Girl Called Jack', as it is to be in the same style, so I am really looking forward to getting that one.

      Delete
    2. Just had a look at reviews for A Year in 120 Recipes and they are very mixed. If the new one is similar to A Girl called Jack I will wait for that one.

      Delete
  3. We have too many books like you. My youngest 2 kids both did Eng Lang & Lit degrees and we still have all their books, but aren't allowed to get rid! I wouldn't mind if I could actually read them and understand the text but to me it's like wading through treacle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get all fired up to do this with my recipie books ( the ones that didnt get culled last year) and then dont make any of the recipies. Hmm, maybe I should dontate the lot of them.
    As for other books, we are both HUGE readers in our house and have tonnes of books. Im getting better and if I know I wont re-read something I donate it. The husband has mainy nonfiction so these are a bit harder to let go of. When we come to pack up to move to the other side of the world and have to leave some of these behind, Im sure there will be more than a few tears from him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love books and have long been dreaming of a library wall in my forever home, BUT last year, I decided enough was enough and took a huge quantity of books to the charity shop. I may need to do another sift through my cookery books mind - way too many. Of course you've just alerted me to one I DONT have :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have this book its fab for simple meals just my type of cook book. You've inspired me to dig it out and try some more recipes from it. We've enjoyed the ones we've done so far. We do have to increase the portions for my family size but its still cheap cooking. Trying to cut down our food spend & not waste food so am now meal planning for next week from this book thanks for the reminder. If you haven't already, please try the sicilian style sardines with pasta & green beans its divine! We use lemon juice instead of zest as i always have bottled lemon juice in. We dont put parsley on it either coz we never have it in lol. Its still scrummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been on a no spend gig for ages but books are a real temptation especially cookery books however I get around this by selling something if I want something new that's new to me it doesn't have to be brand new. I've not bought any new clothes at all for over six months but do need a few bits for our up and coming trip at the end of Feb. I've decided that I can only get something I need if I sell something first it's a challenge but fun lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will have to see if the library has it so I can see if there is enough in ut to interest me. Then I can always ask for it for Mothers day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this book too and use it regularly. It's one I could never cull! Thank you for the recommendation for The Yorkshire Shepherdess. I bought a half price copy and am thoroughly enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have just bought this one from Amazon and waiting for it to arrive, I was very naughty I also ordered, Down to Earth (Rhonda Hetzel)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your 10 notes idea is a good one, I will give that a go as I want to sort out my recipe books! xx

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.