Monday, 1 February 2016

Day 32 - Did We Stockpile?


I've been asked a few times if we stockpiled things we ate and used regularly, before this year of the Living Without Challenge.  The answer is a definite NO.

We did take advantage of offers as and when they appeared towards the end of last year but only to the extent that we would have done anyway.  We did have a minor 'wobble' and buy a load of toilet rolls, I forget how many but there are still three packs of eighteen rolls under the spare bed and about ten rolls in the bathroom cupboard.  When we got home with them we suddenly thought 'whoa there' and slammed on the brakes.  I mean this year is supposed to see how much we can actually live on for a year and having large supplies of anything bought the previous year would not give us a true indication for the future at all.

No we nipped our 'stockpiling' in the bud after the toilet roll incident, and it will be interesting to see how long they actually last us for.


One thing I did buy in December when I didn't really need to was this big of brown Penne Pasta.  I don't go in Asda that often and spotted it for £2.87 which I thought was a good bargain.  They do sell bags like these in Tesco but they are always white pasta and I do prefer brown, both for health and taste reasons.  I like pasta as a quick 'go to' meal when inspiration has dried up.  A couple of handfuls of pasta and a few frozen pesto cubes out of the freezer and you have a delicious, and relatively nutritious meal on the table in ten minutes or so.

Today is a No Spend Day

9 comments:

  1. I must try brown pasta as white doesn't agree with me. Not sure why but I've been linking it to pasta. Is it like brown rice in that it takes a lot longer to cook?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White rice and pasta get into your bloodstream really quickly as they are so processed, the starch turns to sugar quickly and you get a 'sugar rush', brown is absorbed much slower so this doesn't happen.

      Yes, it does take a little bit longer to cook, but only by a couple of minutes.

      Delete
    2. I don't feel too good after white pasta either so I tried gluten free and was much better with that but it's very expensive.

      Delete
  2. nothing wrong with stockpiling loo rolls. they are expensive. if on offer it would be madness to leave them behind ;) they dont go off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true ..... I would be very upset if my loo rolls went off ;-)

      Delete
  3. What a good idea to make pesto cubes, as I am the only one who eats it, it often goes off before I finish the jar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homemade or the ready made bought pesto both freeze exceptionally well. I freeze it in ice-cube trays and then tip into a plastic box or bag and keep handy in the freezer. I also use a couple of cubes from frozen cut into slices to dot around a quiche or pie for a lovely added flavour.

      Delete
  4. I love pasta and pesto with olives (yummy I eat those like sweets I'm afraid). We always have brown here too & that goes for pasta, rice and bread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh noooo ..... I HATE olives. My friend who absolutely adores them made me try them .... it was the one food I couldn't bring myself to swallow even out of politeness, I had to spit it out in my hand and get a big glass of water to take the taste away!!

      Yep, it's brown everything here too, bread, rice and pasta. I don't mind white Basmati rice occasionally but that is the exception.

      Delete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.