Sunday, 3 January 2016

Day Three - Seeds of Hope



Last year I took out a subscription to Kitchen Garden magazine it came with an introductory offer of almost £37 worth of seeds completely free of charge.


They are now safely stashed with all the other seeds that fell through the letterbox along with the magazine and it's various additional free gifts throughout the year.   I didn't use a single packet preferring instead to use up some of my older seeds and save these for this years Challenge.  


This year for Christmas I was very lucky to get a subscription to my other favourite 'growing' magazine.  The first copy came with the things you see above and I will also get a gift for having this new subscription,  I'm not sure exactly what it is but it includes more seeds and a binder to keep the magazines in.

I see seeds as food.

Each packet of lettuce seeds is the promise of hundreds of lettuces, each tiny beetroot seed brings to  mind a jar of pickled beetroots stashed safely in my kitchen cupboard.

Seeds are what will make our limited housekeeping budget work .... seeds and a bit of time doing something I love.  I think today while the rain pours down outside, the dogs snooze in their beds and Lovely Hubby takes over the computer to do our 'end of quarter accounts' I will be playing with my packets of seeds.  Planning, dreaming, working out when they will go into pots, where they will be planted once grown and what we will have to eat.

Today is another No Spend Day.


8 comments:

  1. Wow lots of lovely seeds for your garden and eventually dinners there. Have fun planning and dreaming this afternoon . I'm going to be busy finishing my crochet blanket staying cosy indoors on such a rainy day
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was most definitely a day for indoor jobs wasn't it. Seeds all sorted out now and I have many more than I thought!!

      Delete
  2. I have now got enough seeds here and won't need to buy any this year, the only thing for growing food I want to get is some Strawberry Plants.I must find a tin or box to organise my seeds like yours x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just had to upgrade to a slightly bigger tin!!

      Delete
  3. I need to sort through my seeds and my wardrobe. I have a couple vouchers for Christmas and want to spend the wisely. The I will make fo as long as possible after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorting out BEFORE purchasing really is the way to do it isn't it, very sensible :-)

      Delete
  4. Cancel all magazines subscriptions......plenty, plenty of free advice/inspiration on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all paid for, two years up front in most cases with massive savings on the cover prices, why would I cancel them. We like the magazines we get.

      Delete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.