Friday, 1 January 2016

Day One - We're Off


Well here we are ..... the first day of a year long Challenge, and the only Challenge I will be doing this year as this is going to be all-encompassing and will need my full attention.

You can read more about the nitty gritty of this Challenge on the stand alone page a the top of the blog aptly titled  'The Challenge'.  There are just a couple of things for me to update on there.

So on this the first day of our new Challenge and my new blog, I will simply show you the money we managed to save in the Sealed Pot during the course of last year.  

We opened it just before Christmas ....

video

... with a bit of a fanfare and a whoosh of coins.  
I'm sorry the first part of it is sideways ... I was excited   ;-)

I took the cash to the bank in carefully counted out bags of like with like coinage, and changed it for the notes you see in the top photo.  I wasn't going to hand over almost 10% to a cash counting machine when we need every penny we can get.


 I took another photo of it neatly stacked, it doesn't look much does it.


It's a total of £328.71.

This will be our only housekeeping money for the coming year.  This means an average weekly housekeeping allowance of £6.32.  Luckily it will be added to by Nectar Points, coupons and vouchers.  (I will get a photo of the vouchers and points we are starting the year with for tomorrows post.) 

I need to get into a rhythm of daily, accountable posting and figure out the best way to do this, so please bear with me while I get up and running.  

But for today I can put my hand on my heart and say this is a No Spend Day.

27 comments:

  1. Good luck with it all, look forward to seeing how you manage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck - hope it goes well.
    If you have a Kindle and want to read some books then I can have a look and give you a link to a website that tracks Kindle books - I only look at the free ones!! Some have been very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a Kindle, and there are lots of books on it that I have yet to read. I do acquire lots of the free books as and when I can but I would love the link though to get some more, thanks :-)

      Delete
    2. This is the website - http://uk.ereaderiq.com/
      On the left hand side you can sort by different things - I always click on current freebies.
      I check back as often as I remember to see what books are about.

      Delete
  3. Good luck! I will be tracking my household spending along with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, good luck to you too then. It should be an interesting year. xx

      Delete
  4. Very interesting challenge you have made for yourself, I look forward to following it. May make me pull my head in a bit more and not waste money or useful things. This is my year of buy nothing new and think of how to re-use things I already own. Look forward to your ideas and strategies. Ruth Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems there are lots of us determined NOT to shop this year. We can inspire each other :-)

      Delete
  5. Good luck with your challenge. I'm really looking forward to seeing how you manage :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali. Your blog is always good for inspiration so I'll be paying you lots of visits too :-)

      Delete
  6. I'm very interested in this, Sue - not for this year, we're only just starting off our Sealed Pot and don't have enough points or vouchers to do it for this year. We'll definitely think about it for next year though.....OH is cutting his working shifts down as from April, with a view to retiring altogether in 2 or 3 years, so we'll need to be as frugal and self sufficient as possible then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great idea to plan ahead like that. A whole years Sealed Pot savings and vouchers etc really does add up. It seems we are both of the same mindset for future self sufficiency and frugality :-)

      Delete
  7. I'm going to have as many no spend days a month as I can. We're going to bring our sealed pot change to the bank on Monday. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think taking it one No Spend Day at a time is the way forward isn't it.

      Let me know how much you have in there. :-)

      Delete
  8. Great stuff. I'm going to try to do the same - a lot of restraint needed today - Clark's boot £28 were 70, m&s T shirt - £3 was 8 - both swooned over and put back on the shelves! Starting as I mean to go on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done you :-)

      Luckily I was bought the boots I've been swooning over by my Lovely Hubby for Christmas, he very prudently took me shopping for them after Christmas and we got them at half price :-)

      Delete
  9. It's good to know that you're not alone - I'll be continuing my year of less spending which I started in September. I'm finding it much easier to not buy unnecessary clothes now. Wishing you well Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire. It seems there are lots of us bloggers determined to spend less throughout 2016. Hopefully there will be lots of inspiration around Blogland to keep us on track.

      Delete
  10. Wish you well with the challenge! Will you start a new sealed pot for next year, as well?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck. I am started a no clothes buying challenge on 13th September for a year which is going well. I am also running my own version of The Compact along similar lines to the Non Consumer Advocate Blog.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, I'm glad it's going well. I'll have to check out the NCA blog. Thanks xx

      Delete
  12. Good luck. That is quite a challenge. I'm looking forward to reading all about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty big isn't it .... all my Lovely Hubby's idea this time!!

      Delete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.