Monday, 4 January 2016

Day Four - Assessing the Fresh Stuff


Lovely Hubby said the other day that I should photograph the food cupboards for comparison purposes later in the year, but completely ignoring him .... he's used to this, poor man ... I decided to start assessing the fresh stuff first.  

So this morning it was the turn of the drawers in the fridge.  I emptied them out, checked the contents and after a good clean of the drawers put everything back neatly so I can see exactly what we have.

The top drawer is the vegetable drawer and is looking pretty healthy in my opinion.  We have two full bags of onions that I bought last week but the rest of the contents are a bit older, bought before Christmas.  Nothing is showing any signs of going off, although the celery is a bit 'old' at the edges so I'll make a point of using that up this week.


The bottom drawer is the one we use for fruit, which is something we don't eat a lot of.  For some reason I have put the Ocas in there .... most definitely not a fruit, but they can stay in this drawer as there is more space here.  

The apples and pears are well past their sell-by date and although the apples look fine the pears are most definitely looking a bit sorry for themselves so they will be turned into something today, but the  Melon and Mandarins are lovely and fresh so they will be saved until the weekend.

Playing with food at home is stopping me spending ... so today is another No Spend Day.





11 comments:

  1. We too have a lot of fresh stuff left over from Christmas. The box of clementines from Aldi are like new - though why I bought a whole box is anyone's guess! I used a few tomatoes in a fry up just now for tea. The lettuce keeper (Lakeland ) is a miracle worker - still crispy even now. I'm hoping to only buy milk and a few fresh bits til February so that the freezer gets emptied. As for salted peanuts.....well let's leave it there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep ... I found two big bags of salted peanuts in the cupboard the other day. I don't know how many I thought we'd eat over Christmas .... but we didn't !! :-)

      Delete
  2. If you have tin foil (aluminum wrap) take and wrap you celery in it. It will stay fresh foe about six weeks. Works on things like cucumbers and green onions (spring onions) also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike -- I was going to suggest that for the celery too. Didn't realize it worked for cucumbers and green onions though -- thanks for that tip!

      Delete
    2. I usually have it in the 'Stayfresh' bags from Lakeland that I use over and over and it keeps for ages, just like it does in foil, but I found the celery in the fruit drawer when I started the clean out. I'd forgotten I had it.

      I bought it for eating with cheese over Christmas, as our homegrown celery is good for cooking with but too strong to eat raw!!

      Delete
    3. I will try the foil idea - thanks! Had no idea. :)

      Delete
  3. I've only bought some milk so far this year as like you I'm using up the leftover stuff from Christmas still. Also eating from the freezer as I need it empty for our up coming move in 4 weeks. I think I will need to buy some fresh veg for the weekend though.Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will need to buy some milk for the weekend. Lovely Hubby took the last of ours with him on Sunday as his fridge in his digs was empty after the holidays. I don't use any milk so I've been happy to have none in the house but I will need some for when he gets home.

      Delete
  4. You shouldn't keep the tomatoes in the fridge. They taste much much better if you don't keep them cool, apparently if they get cool it does something to the sugar content making them taste more watery and less sweet. I find mine keep for ages in a bowl on the worktop and since I stopped putting them in the fridge they taste much sweeter. Just in case you're interested! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just finished eating up my fruit and veg bought for Christmas, and doing a big shop today. I've found that if you wrap celery in foil it lasts for ages, also I keep my lettuce in a plastic box lined with kitchen roll and it keeps and doesn't go limp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just finished eating up my fruit and veg bought for Christmas, and doing a big shop today. I've found that if you wrap celery in foil it lasts for ages, also I keep my lettuce in a plastic box lined with kitchen roll and it keeps and doesn't go limp.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.