Saturday, 9 January 2016

Day 9 - A Year Without ... Clothes


This year long Challenge is not just about housekeeping money, or the lack of it,  it's also about not buying clothes or books, or many other things that would have made the title ridiculously long ... note to self .....  must do a list on a stand alone page as I think of the things we are not buying during this year.

I used to follow the Project 333 method of rotating my clothes, having just 33 items out for every 3 months of the year, but since 'Kondo-ing' all my clothes last year it makes more sense(to me anyway) to keep everything accessible.  Well everything fits so neatly into my drawers and wardrobe, that to try and store things away would just get overly time-consuming and take up more space elsewhere, which we don't have!!

What I do need to do as well is repair any little things that get damaged before they are unrepairable, that's why last night saw me sewing up this hole in my sock.  They will be in use for some time to come now, thank goodness ..... I like them  :-)

Today is a No Spend Day.

14 comments:

  1. Do you do knitting or dressmaking at all, sewing is a great way of revamping and upcycling clothes, did you sew the sock or darn it, I hope it lasts, this year I want to have a go at making underwear something I havent tried before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can knit or crochet scarves, squares or anything with straight edges, never learnt the next steps ..... but I hate it and it gets me stressed out. Similarly I don't like sewing no matter how useful it is.

      But I don't mind sewing up a sock or reattaching a button.

      It was definitely sewed rather than darned :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm with you all the way. I definitely live with less than 33 items of clothing and it's never been easier. Boring, but easy. I don't need to Penelope Garcia myself up any more, I am happy being my army short wearing self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have pretty much developed a uniform, it suits me and I'm happier than I've ever been. Jeans and shirts.

      In Summer its sometimes shorts and a vest or t shirts. with my shirts over as light jackets, in Winter it's my warmer shirts with a t shirt under and when very cold a cardigan or jumper as a top layer. It works for me ... of course I have a couple of dresses but it would have to be 'posh' do to get me into one of them ;-)

      Delete
  3. I do need to go through my wardrobe and drawers to thin things out. There is lots of stuff I will never wear again,it needs to be gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a real sense of lightness from letting things go. Even now if something doesn't feel right it gets washed after wearing and added to the car boot sale box.

      Delete
  4. That is a sock that deserves to be mended. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are nice, it had to be mended :-)

      Delete
  5. Save the sock! Too pretty to chuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems my sock is developing a fan club ;-)

      Delete
  6. just had a little giggle at the header...a year without clothes you want to be careful on a welsh hillside without any you might get frostbite

    hope its going well tessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that WOULD stop the traffic on the main road!!

      Delete
    2. dont worry you would have your newly mended socks on

      regards tess

      Delete
  7. Knitting socks is my tension-reliever, but I have to gear myself up for a darning/mending event...sometimes it takes something as drastic as the last button popping off my barn coat. Then I pull out the basket of hole-y gloves and thinning heels, crank up an audiobook, and get to work doing all the mending and darning in one go. Very satisfying when it's done, so I don't know why I don't do it more frequently instead of putting it off!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.