Tuesday, 5 January 2016

Day 5 - Making Use of Everything


Of course saving money means making good use of everything you have.  When you buy a product, any product, be it food or something for the home, you are also paying for the packaging it comes in and throughout this year, as indeed I always try and do, I will be making good use of anything that I have paid for.

Before Christmas I was seduced by this retro box of cornflakes, not something I usually buy, but we have eaten some of them and will eat the rest either as cereal or in the form of 'crumbs' to coat fish cakes and the like.


 What we have left, and there are lots left, have now been decanted into this longer term storage container and popped into the cupboard.  But I wanted to keep the retro picture to decorate the kitchen with again next year, so I cut up the box, keeping also the '... Night Before Christmas' poem on the side of the pack.  These I have now put away with the decorations ready to be brought out again next year.


The little off cuts of cardboard were used to start last nights log burner fire, and the three usable bits  are in the kitchen drawer ready to be used as shopping lists. 


The inner greaseproof paper type wrapping has been cut into four A4 sized pieces and is also in a drawer ready to be used as a food wrap.  No wastage there then :-)

Today is another No Spend Day.

15 comments:

  1. I'm following your blog from France, but sadly we don't get many reductions here to take advantage of but we sometimes get meat reduced. We also use our cardboard to start the wood burner but I throw away the insides, so thank you for the tip on how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome. xx

      I started using the inners from cereals years ago when the boys were small , they used to take their sandwiches to school in their lunch boxes wrapped in them. With a wipe each night they lasted quite a while, it's tough stuff :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Sue I am doing exactly the same anything I can reuse I will, I also use the cereal bags for freezer bags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good start and the Father Christmas is rather lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me laugh! My grandmother used to give me a tongue lashing when I recycled cereal bags rather than using them!
    Thanks for the reminder to actually use them,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... it has never occured to me reuse the packaging. Now that's what I call recycling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great tip about using the packaging to start the wood burner I will have to start keeping mine as we will have a wood burner at the new house. I hadn't thought of using the inner packaging though so that's a great tip, thank you
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use cereal boxes cut up as bookmarks. I never think to keep the greaseproof type wrapping though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always utilised the cardboard but not thr waxy bag inside. I will do so from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was a child, the bags from inside cereal boxes and also plastic bread bags were always used to wrap lunches. It seems in the last couple of decades that so many new products, have been marketed as time saving etc etc and we are seduced into buying them.
    In the fifties, life was so much simpler, not from choice as much as from necessity.
    I have resolved that 2016 will be a year of 'no spending', while money will be spent on essentials, I am attempting to go back to the way we lived when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are buying a little smallholding which we are moving in to next week (can't wait). We are looking for the whole lifestyle change and recycling more is one of our key areas. Therefore I love the idea of using the insides of the cereal boxes, though I do think we may end up with too many as the kids go through a lot of hot oats (porridge type) and coco pops (which we are moving away from in 2016). So I guess I need to be thinking what else can we use them for which will reduce costs elsewhere. DD does a lot of craft work and the cardboard would save me buying her it from hobbycraft and the likes. Food for thought, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm following your blog from France, but sadly we don't get many reductions here to take advantage of but we sometimes get meat reduced. We also use our cardboard to start the wood burner but I throw away the insides, so thank you for the tip on how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that is truely using up everything, great recycling too. Love your new blog already and I'm sure I'll pick up lots of tips over the coming months. Love, Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job on recycling/using all parts of that box!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to hear a different idea (lunches and freezer wrap) for using up cereal box liners. I have always used them for flouring chicken, fish etc. They are excellent for this as you can shake pretty vigorously and the bottom doesn't fall out.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.