Sunday, 31 January 2016

Day 31 - Last Day of Month One


Money Spent This Month - £16.62    Vouchers/Coupons/Points Spent - £30.00
Money Spent in Total - £16.62
Vouchers/Coupons/Points Spent in Total - £30
Money left in Housekeeping Fund - £312.09

Total Spent Cash/Vouchers/Coupons/Points   £46.62
Weekly Average £11.66
No Spend Days  26/31

It's been a good first month to the Challenge.

I've been getting into the swing of things, trying to remember to keep receipts to photograph for the daily blog post, keeping in the mindset of posting daily.  Getting used to not shopping from the shops and instead rummaging through cupboards.  

I could potentially have done things even better, to have kept costs down even more.  For instance I could have made all our bread instead of buying two packs of brown buns and two sliced loaves.  We could have  drank only chilled tap water saving me from buying a total of twenty bottles of sparkling water (9 of which are still in the cupboard so I am ahead for next month).  But the bread and the water in total only cost me £5.93 so I'm not that worried about my extravagance  ;-)

It's all a learning curve, and it's all a matter of getting into new habits.  Since my purchases I have made bread twice, once using up the dry almond powder left over from making the Almond Milk ... this didn't work and made bread much to dense for our liking, but the chickens enjoyed it, so I saved money of corn rations for two days ... when you have chickens there is no wastage in kitchen experiments!!  I am also trying to increase the amount of chilled tap water I drink and I keep a jug full in the fridge all the time, this should mean the sparkling water that we do buy will last longer.

How am I feeling at the end of Month One - INSPIRED to carry on.

Today is a No Spend Day


10 comments:

  1. Pretty excellent start to your challenge Id say. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although we have spent a lot this month (mainly non food I admit), I love that feeling of pushing everything a little bit further.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're not doing any kind of no spend challenge, but we've done much less shopping than normal as we've sorted out the freezers and are eating things which we didn't even know we had!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great first month and thanks for all the tips. We have a budget of €3 per day and for January we have come in under budget, so we are very pleased with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband is my saboteur, I could do so much better if he didn't come shopping with me! Today Custard tarts appeared in my trolley. I don't even like them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on getting to the end of month one on minimum spending . I'm not doing a no spend challenge but have spent this month eating from the freezer and cupboards in preparation for our house move starting tomorrow. As a result I have spent about a quarter of what I normally would so a double success. I will however need to re stock once we arrive in our new home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you have done very well! It does show just how much bread and water can be, and how even the basics can cost us, so that in mind, you have done even better! I don't think that extravagances of this order are too much are they! Good luck for February! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Sue you are doing awesome. I'm enjoying following along with your daily posts, finding your challenge inspirational and wishing you success.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job! I've had 17 no spend days in January.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great stuff and I'm glad you are inspired moving in to February. Well done to you.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.