Saturday, 30 January 2016

Day 30 - Chickpea, Quinoa and Turmeric Curry


I've been really in the mood for cooking and baking this week, so striking while the iron was hot ... I have been known to lose the mood as quickly as it comes ... I got out my brand new Deliciously Ella cook book and found something tasty that I fancied for my tea.

I chose this curry recipe and got out all the ingredients, picked some Spinach from the polytunnel and went to open the can of coconut milk with the new tin opener .... and broke it!!   I really don't know what it is with me and tin openers, anything but the basic bog standard openers and I just can't use them!!   So I pushed everything to the back of the worktop, put the Spinach in the fridge and went out to get a new one. Plain cheap tin openers are harder to find than you would think, I finally got one from a little Kitchen Supplies shop in Llandudno.... PHEW!!


If you click on the photo you should just about be able to make out the recipe if you haven't already got the book I do highly recommend it, either get yourself a copy while it is on offer everywhere or order it at your local library.  I have marked almost half the pages as must try soon recipes.  I have also added it to the box on the sidebar so you can nip over to Amazon and read other reviews.  

I pre-ordered my signed copy from Waterstones before Christmas and paid for it with my points and Waterstones stamp card so that it would not break the rule for this year of not buying any books.  

Today is a No Spend Day.

11 comments:

  1. Lovely recipe and fairly similar to Ainsley Harriot's Chickpea and Spinach curry which is delicious. If you ever need to buy another tin opener (hopefully not soon) I can highly recommend Culinare Magican. We had our first one for years and years before it broke. After buying a couple of different makes which were absolute rubbish, we've just bought our 2nd Magican.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation, I did actually look at these in Asda and then I went on to the little kitchen shop where I found the basic one I wanted. If I hadn't have found it I would have gone back for one of these.

      Delete
  2. Recipe sounds delicious. Love spinach and chickpeas, never eaten quinoa so might replace it with another cheaper type of grain. You should return that broken can opener for a refund. You can't really afford to keep buying new ones can you and it was obviously not fit for the job. I think you are doing amazingly well with your spending (or lack of spending), and I love reading your updates. Love Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use quinoa for its protein value as well as its delicious taste, but yes you could easily substitute another grain. A half and half mix of quinoa and brown rice is delicious. But as I tend to serve curries with brown rice I didn't do that this time.

      I did return the can opener and got my money back :-)

      Delete
  3. I use bog standard tin openers too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much simpler aren't they ... we must have had our last one for 10 years and it only cost 50p. It's replacement has just cost me £1.10 so not bad at all. I could have got another for 50p in Sainsburys but it would have cost me a couple of pounds in petrol to get there so I supported a small local shop instead :-)

      Delete
  4. I'm just the opposite, if I buy a cheap can opener I guarantee it will break at the very worst time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find the basic model in most things is far more sturdy than the all singing all dancing ones. Apparently the word quinoa is most mispronounced word in the dictionary. (keenwa)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely recipe and fairly similar to Ainsley Harriot's Chickpea and Spinach curry which is delicious. If you ever need to buy another tin opener (hopefully not soon) I can highly recommend Culinare Magican. We had our first one for years and years before it broke. After buying a couple of different makes which were absolute rubbish, we've just bought our 2nd Magican.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why this is here again as I posted this morning. Very odd. Perhaps you can delete it Sue. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. I have been planning to try this recipe all week though I won't receive my cookbook in the US for a while yet. Ella posted the recipe on her blog a few days ago. It might be easier to read there. :0)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are now closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.